• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destined to be alone?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with regards to Leo right now.

This weekend we took him to some local rescuses to see if he fancied any of the single ladies there. At the first place he didn't immeadiatly take to any of them (and they all seemed a little too large/old for him) nor did he seem terrified either. At the second place he was placed with a female baby, only 10weeks old. My little man was absolutely terrified and within 30seconds I was in tears because it was so horrible to watch. :cry: He couldn't get away fast enough from this tiny bundle of fluff; he was literally climbing the walls. I took him out straight away and gave him lots of cuddles and nose rubs and he calmed down straight away.

After his incident with Archie I knew it would be very unlikely that he'll take to another rabbit but when he's out free ranging he's constantly going over to Archie/Blanches set up and trying to make friends with them. It's actually Archie who scares him off. This is what gave me the hope to try him out with a new lady.

I'm genuinely confused because after this weekend he was straight back out in the garden binkying around and once again he went over to A&Bs bit and lay down next to their hutch. :?

He doesn't seem to be scared of other rabbits as such ... but the way he reacted to this baby bunny has terrified me.

We've also just moved him from his indoor set up in the kitchen to outside so although I still spend as much time as possible with him, throughout the day when I'm at work he won't see as much as my people pottering round the kitchen talking to him.

In your opinion would you accept that ...
- After his horrific ordeal he is now unbondable and is quite content alone
- Leave him for say six months and see if he "forgets" (it has only been 4/5months since the incident)

As much as I'd love another bun and also a friend for Leo I want to do what is best by my beautiful man.

have you considered bonding him with archie and blanche?

not being terrified, even if he didn't take a shine to any of them, is a good sign. If you can't bond him with your existing pair I would consider going back and taking the rabbit he responded least to.

If he's happy on his own and enjoys interacting with your others I would leave him be :D

Is Leo neutered and vacs?

Introducing him for a few mins after a car journey to several different does isn't the best way to see if he'll bond.
If you want a partner for him and we can get a bunny run here I can bond him for you..we have lots of lovely girlies and I'll do it slowly..
He will be better off with a partner in the long run

Is Leo neutered and vacs?

Introducing him for a few mins after a car journey to several different does isn't the best way to see if he'll bond.
If you want a partner for him and we can get a bunny run here I can bond him for you..we have lots of lovely girlies and I'll do it slowly..
He will be better off with a partner in the long run

He is indeed ... I'll PM you :)

I agree with this, it really needs longer than that to see how they interact and let them settle. It sometimes isn't pleasant to watch when buns are first introduced but they usually calm down pretty quickly. Your little lad was probably just very stressed after his car journey and confused as to what was happening and why.

I certainly wouldn't assume from that experience that he won't bond and think it would be most unfair on him to come to that conclusion as it's pretty much what I'd expect given the circumstances!

It would be great if you could get him along to Jills where he can have a while to settle and then be bonded nicely when he's a bit calmer :) Good luck x

I don't see why he would be unbondable. I completely agree with honeybunny that that's not an ideal way to find out if a partner has potential, especially if you are doing a lot of dates in quick succession. That's a long stressful day.

I also don't think that anything you have described implies he is unbondable in anyway, to be honest.

It may just be a case of finding the bonding technique that works for him and also finding the right girl.

In hindsight I appreciate all the comments. At the time I was just doing what the rescues local to myself suggested "Bring him down, we'll introduce him to a few different ones, if he settles you take home".

I've PM'd Jill anyway so we'll have to see!

In hindsight I appreciate all the comments. At the time I was just doing what the rescues local to myself suggested "Bring him down, we'll introduce him to a few different ones, if he settles you take home".

I've PM'd Jill anyway so we'll have to see!

We say that to those who want to adopt from the RSPCA but don't quite do it that way, and I tend to vary things depending on what I see from the bunny, but it might be that the person doing your dates was not as experienced as maybe one might hope- and certainly not as experienced as Jill.

Well I for one am looking forward to seeing the lovely Leo all loved up and looking laid back :love::lol: Jill - do you have a bunny with a name beginning with "L"? :lol:

O have pm'd Leo's mum and hopefully he'll be coming here to find a wife..I do have a girl in mind..and no she doesn't begin with a L Jenny!

Awww how lovely!

I wish i could do this for lucky but we are so far away from anywhere - he'd get freaked out by the travelling.

He'll have to do with his fox puppet now. :shock: He licks it. :shock:

Awww how lovely!

I wish i could do this for lucky but we are so far away from anywhere - he'd get freaked out by the travelling.

He'll have to do with his fox puppet now. :shock: He licks it. :shock:

Aww that's a shame :( Lucky is :love::love:

Aww that's a shame :( Lucky is :love::love:

Thank you!! He grooms me a lot and looooves my eldest daughter best. We make sure he has lots of playtime with us or he would just get bored. I loe hearing the stories on here about bunny bondings. It looks really tricky tho.

I'm hoping Leo has lots of luck in luuuurve! :lol:

Back