• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Franc ...i award him.....

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
the hardest bun ever to syringe with medication award...:evil: :evil: :evil:

he has had me in tears today cos it is sooooo hard to get meds down him ..

he will hate me by the time hes better ...if he gets better cos he wont have his meds :(

Awww, bless you. :( If it makes you feel any better, I struggle with Bubbles and she's just a teeny dot, nowhere near the size of Franc.

I'm sure you've had far more experience of syringing poorly buns than I have but is there any way you can disguise them in food, or is he not eating enthusiastically enough to do that?

Sounds like you've had a hard day. I dread the day I might have to give my bun medication - I even took him to the vet to have his toenails clipped. :wave:

im worn out ...tried everything ..

on dandylions ...on bread ...on apple ..

tried the syringe...wrapping franc in a towel ...pet carrier ..two of us..sat up..lying on his back(that one was fun :roll:)...

"sigh" ...out of ideas :?:(

Sounds like Harley, he's not a giant but can kick so hard the grooming brush goes flying to the other side of the street :roll: I felt bad but I really had to really grip his head, quickly shove the end bit of the syringe behind his teeth and do it as quick as possible (wouldnt reccomend this if theres a large ammount of medication though). I had a thick fleece on, me cradling him, my left hand working the syringe, my right hand securing his head and my right arm keeping the rest of him still. I know how easy it is to give up hope, but keep trying at you will eventually get those meds into him.

have you tried inside a hollowed out grape? i know how hard it can be with a big bunny but lola always falls for this. definately a two man team sport. sending hugs

You are probably exhausted and stressed, quite understandably. Franc is probably picking up on that. we have started using mini shredded wheat with some of our naughtier buns, works great :)

You are probably exhausted and stressed, quite understandably. Franc is probably picking up on that. we have started using mini shredded wheat with some of our naughtier buns, works great :)

Aw Angie - no real advice but lots of hugs and sympathy. :( xx

I went through this with my chinchilla and remember sobbing at him 'you have to take this because you need it to get better!' but just ended up feeling guilty and stressed out.

Might well be worth trying out Liz's suggestion of a Shredded Wheat...... tons of vibes for successful - medicating and Franc's recovery.

Love Kirsty's Hollowed out grape idea, we have used strawberrys before or hollowed out cucumber. or 2 fenugreek crunchies tied together with carrot/hay and the medicine inside them - will remember that one though, thanks Kirsty :)

Oh I know just what you mean....I dread the day Kevin needs meds syringed ,eye drops are bad enough!

Banana works well with most of mine ,failing that toast .

I know exactly how you feel Angie, it's so hard isn't it :cry: Getting buns resistant to meds that are normal size is difficult enough, let alone a giant bunny :cry:

Come on Franc, please be a good lad for your mummy & take your medicine xx

I ended up in tears too with Joejoe when he was ill in the new year and was on 4 syringes a day for a month :cry: in the end when all else failed i'd squirt it in small amounts on his paws as he'd instantly lick it off, it was the only way sometimes :oops: wish i'd known about bite size shredded wheat though that sounds a fab idea! Hope one the food disguising ideas works and Franc is feeling better soon x

Aww, bread was going to be my first idea. How about in oats? Grim goes crazy for oats.

I know how you feel, I'm small and Grim is big and he hates anything near his mouth. I fought him for a week before I realised I could hide anything in bread. Find his soft spot in terms of food and you'll be fine! Good luck!

I got Marnies mataclop tabs into her by hiding them in banana.
When it came to syringing her it was a case of pin her down wrapped in a towel and hold her head. It's taken ages for her to talk to me again :cry:

nope im sorry but Alvin is already the winner of this award..

hope you manage to persuade him its for his own good :( i certainly know that in tears by the end situation, i even get so worked up before now im destined to fail :roll::roll::roll:

Does he like baby food? When Alfie hurt his leg, I managed to disguise his baytril in a tiny amount of baby food and he lapped it all up.

It depends how much Franc loves food of course as well, because it worked with Alfie but Bubbles doesn't fall for the same tricks. :roll:

Back