• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun been in stasis for a week.

isla

Mama Doe
As title says, but its a friends bun. She has been to the vets a few times, and is on liquid food 3 times a day, plus usual drugs. The vet has also recomemded pineapple juice. Any ideas of any other things worth trying?

Her tum is hard, and there have been almost no poo's.

Hydration, hydration, hydration, , more hydration (all via sub-Q fluids) and pain relief.

What's causing it?

First thing to do is change vets I think, pineapple juice can work against clumped fur that's inside the gut but has sugar in it and can upset a rabbits stomach. Try cooled peppermint tea instead. If her stomach feels hard she may have gas an you can use 1-2ml of Infacol which is available in pharmacies and large supermarkets.

Bunny should really be getting gut stimulants such as zantac syrup, metachlopromide but also needs pain relief (metacam) I assume she is as you mentioned the usual drugs. Do you know if the vet checked the rabbits teeth at all and he might not be eating if his mouth is sore.

After a week I'd be asking that the rabbit is kept in on a drip, that's an awful long time for the poor mite not to be eating properly. Then again how good is the vet I wonder.

First thing to do is change vets I think, pineapple juice can work against clumped fur that's inside the gut but has sugar in it and can upset a rabbits stomach. Try cooled peppermint tea instead. If her stomach feels hard she may have gas an you can use 1-2ml of Infacol which is available in pharmacies and large supermarkets.

Bunny should really be getting gut stimulants such as zantac syrup, metachlopromide but also needs pain relief (metacam) I assume she is as you mentioned the usual drugs. Do you know if the vet checked the rabbits teeth at all and he might not be eating if his mouth is sore.

After a week I'd be asking that the rabbit is kept in on a drip, that's an awful long time for the poor mite not to be eating properly. Then again how good is the vet I wonder.

The owner is under the pdsa so pretty much has to take what they give her, I surgested the infacol instead of pinapple juice, but haven't heard of peppermint tea, so will also tell her that.
The teeth have been checked and are fine, the bun- Jess, is one I rescued a few years ago and rehomed to the present owner, and while I had her she did go into stasis a few times, but never for this long.
As far as I know she has been given 2 injections today, which I asume are metacan and a gut stimulant, and has been sent home with liquid food, metacam and baytril (not really sure why the baytril is there, but I'm not a vet).

Hydration, hydration, hydration, , more hydration (all via sub-Q fluids) and pain relief.

What's causing it?

I don't know whats causing it, she's a bit of an odd but, so I wondering if she may have eaten something odd, while I had her she ate her way through some strange stuff, like incence sticks :?

But she also stops eating at random times, for no apparent reason.

The owner is under the pdsa so pretty much has to take what they give her, I surgested the infacol instead of pinapple juice, but haven't heard of peppermint tea, so will also tell her that.
The teeth have been checked and are fine, the bun- Jess, is one I rescued a few years ago and rehomed to the present owner, and while I had her she did go into stasis a few times, but never for this long.
As far as I know she has been given 2 injections today, which I asume are metacan and a gut stimulant, and has been sent home with liquid food, metacam and baytril (not really sure why the baytril is there, but I'm not a vet).

Hmmm for her to be in stasis that long I'd have thought there'd be a reason for it especially if she's getting gut stimulants and being syringe fed. Has the vet done X-rays or anything at all do you know? The last time my Honey had a bad stasis bout they did an X-ray to find out where everything was slowing down.

Hmmm for her to be in stasis that long I'd have thought there'd be a reason for it especially if she's getting gut stimulants and being syringe fed. Has the vet done X-rays or anything at all do you know? The last time my Honey had a bad stasis bout they did an X-ray to find out where everything was slowing down.

I shouldn't think they have or the owner would have mentioned it to me. I was thinking she hay have eaten someting thats blocking some where.

I shouldn't think they have or the owner would have mentioned it to me. I was thinking she hay have eaten someting thats blocking some where.

An X-ray would show a blockage I'd have thought and possibly an odd object as well if she's eaten something she shouldn't have. Maybe get your friend to ask for an Xray to be done as Jane's suggested.

I would be insisting on abdominal Xrays and a full blood profile.

Stasis is not an illness in its own right but more a symptom of another primary problem.

I'll find out when the next appointment is and put this to the owner.

The owner has also told me that Jess is acting normal. I asked if she was streching out and lying on her tum more than usual, and she isn't. She isn't huddled up, she's a little quiet but still playing and stuff. Odd.

Back