• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit urine

rachylou

Warren Veteran
What colour should it be?

Those of you who have followed my thread from last night, I managed to get a sample to the vets, they are going to do a general stick test today for me and let me know if there is any blood in it and I have asked them to send the rest of the sample off for investigation along with a poo.
The reason I ask the question above is because the nurse asked me... 'Is this the normal colour of his wee?' I dont know if I need to be concerned or not as to that question?
Problem is, I do not know because we use a absorbant litter in his tray so it soaks it up, the only way I was able to get the sample was by only using hay so it was swimming at the bottom then I syringed it up and hey presto pee sample!

Hay can sometimes change the colour of wee, so that might be the reason.

Rabbit wee varies greatly depending on what they have eaten, it can be a dark orange colour to light yellow or almost clear.

try not to worry until you have the results :)

Thankyou for the link Jane, I would say that Jimby's wee was close to the first vile of samples on that thread.

Just spoke tot he vets and they did the stick test and nothing came up, they have advised us not to send it off as there is nothing presenting, no blood, no infection etc and sending it off could cost about £100!! :shock: she said the poops I sent in look fantastic as poops go!
Obviously if he presents with any other symptoms we will be investigating further! But for now are just going to keep an eye on him.

Yep, touch wood it was nothing serious, though if it were I would expect to have seen more blood by now, so fingers crossed he is ok.

Back