• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ileus/Stasis HELP!

taylor.alison

Warren Scout
My boyfriend and I just got a new male bunny, supposedly 10-12 weeks old. He was already acting weird when we got him, and when I look back on it he was acting weird at the pet store as well. We've taken him in to the vet and he's since been diagnosed with Ileus or Stasis. (this occurred yesterday, the day after we bought him). The vet injected him with Metacam, Zantac, and Marbocyl SA...one of those being for pain. Bunny hadn't been eating or pooping...the only time he pooped was when I had him laid on me the day before and when we went to move him all this mushy rather smelly poop came out He's been prescribed with Lagolax and Fibreplex...must feed him three times a day. We were able to get him to eat some fresh grass last night after the vet...and after his feeding of medication this morning there was one tiny poop, but that's it. It's now 2 in the afternoon and nothing else has changed and he is back to being in the corner and grinding his teeth every now and then. The medicine feeding was the worst, I was so emotional about it because he obviously didn't like it and I don't like to see him in pain.

I was wondering if anybody out there has had a bunny with this problem (which is obvious) and how long it took for them to recover, and under what treatment? I'm so impatient I guess I just assume he will be better immediately...I'm also hoping he gets better because I'm just really scared that something bad will happen He's going back in to the vet tonight, so we'll see what happens then as well. Please, if anybody can offer any assistance, it would be very much appreciated as I am worrying myself sick!

he needs to go back to the vet asap hun, it sounds like he is displaying signs of pain, so will need medical assitance as he won't eat if he is hurting which will make things a whole lot worse..

sorry I don't mean to scare you, but he really needs to be at the vets IMO.. I feel really bad for you as the bun is new and poorly please let us know how he is doing x

I know...the poor thing :cry: We have an appointment in about an hour and forty minutes and I will make sure he gets the care he needs. I am quite worried about him and felt awful giving him the medicine...I know he doesn't like it, and it has also matted the fur near his mouth which makes me feel even worse like I did a really bad job :cry: I'm doing my best though, and I can only feel glad that it was my boyfriend and I who got him and not someone else...he could have just been left like this!

I know...the poor thing :cry: We have an appointment in about an hour and forty minutes and I will make sure he gets the care he needs. I am quite worried about him and felt awful giving him the medicine...I know he doesn't like it, and it has also matted the fur near his mouth which makes me feel even worse like I did a really bad job :cry: I'm doing my best though, and I can only feel glad that it was my boyfriend and I who got him and not someone else...he could have just been left like this!

Don't feel bad bunny doesn't hate you, he just is poorly and doesn't like his meds, there are a lot of people on here who have to give meds for stasis CALLING DOMNANT!:wave: and its blimmin hard work, sounds like you are the best person for this bun to be with at the mo, as you rightly said, other people may not have picked up on the signs as quick, so please don't beat yourself up ((HUgs))

If you are still worried I would give the vet a call and state that its an emergency and just go down, means you will be seen quicker maybe

I'm not beating myself up because I know what I'm doing is right, I just feel so sad to see him this way :/ We just got him on the 25th, poor little guy - he must be traumatized. My boyfriend will be home in about a half an hour - he's got the car. Bus would not be good for the bunny either!!! We'll wait it out, but I've been looking after him all day...forcing him to have some water every now and then by putting the bottle at his mouth. He drank from it a few times, so at least I'm getting him some fluids when he wouldn't have normally gotten up to do it himself.

Yes, I'd get him back to the vets urgently (sorry). Personally I would ask them to get him on a drip as I'd imagine he's dehydrated if he's not eating and drinking.
The metacam will only last for 24 hours so he'll likely need pain relief every day whilst he's in stasis. Fluids and pain relief are key in their recovery of this

If they can give Critical Care or Recovery (a high fibre sachet that you mix with water and syringe feed...that might be Lagolax but I've never heard of it) that would be ideal as they need constant fibre going through their tummy.

Really sorry you're going through this. But you so clearly want to do what is best for him and by taking him to the vets and using advice on here, you'll be doing everything you can for him.

Get well vibes for your little bun. (My boy Bob has been through serious cases of this and with quick treatment and the right care, he came through it ok, so stay positive).

EDIT: You posted inbetween! Great that he's off to the vets...
Were it not you who had taken him home from the petshop, I dread to think how he'd be now. Yay for you. :)

Last edited:
You sound like you are definately the best person for your bun to be around right now - you're doing whats best and sounds like you are coping very well!

Lets get bun to the vets and see what they say.

Does bunny have a name? Hugs to you and your bunny, hope he gets better soon.

Last edited:
Did your vet give you any metacam to take home with you? Its really important his pain relief is topped up regularly as a bunny in pain will not eat.

If you find giving the meds stressful you could try a bunny burito. Basically you wrap the bunny in a towel (except its head) which helps prevent them from struggling.

Zantac is a gut stimulant and both times I have bunnies with ilues I've also had to take this home with me to re-administer. (Or metaclopromide which is similar).

Fibreplex can be hidden inside leaves of herbs etc so if you can get him to eat it this way it's one less to syringe.

I'm sorry but I don't know what the other meds are so can't comment.

Try to tempt him with all his favorites. Fresh grass, dandelions are good.

Unfortunately I don't know what his favorites are, or if he even has any because we just brought him home two days ago. They have not given me any pain meds to take home with him, the only things we've brought home are Lagolax, which I think is something that has been given to children to help their bowels...and the Fibreplex. And I know how silly it might sound but we haven't named him quite yet. We have an idea...not 100% sure but I think his name will end up being Yoshi. He's a very pleasant, sweet natured rabbit as far as I can tell. I've tried the bunny burrito, it worked pretty well - just difficult to get this big Fibreplex nozzle into his tiny baby mouth. I'll keep you posted - many thanks for all the help and support. Really felt like I was alone in this, I've just spent almost my whole day inside with him making sure nothing goes horribly wrong. I know the little guy is in pain but he'll be at the vets soon and I'll make sure to bring up the painkillers, and ask if overnighting is our best option at the moment. I'm also going to bring a sample of the one poop he did this morning, just in case they need it to do any tests or whatnot.

When you try and get the fibreplex in, go from the side of the mouth, about half a cm behind the front of his nose from the side if you understand what im on about, or you'll catch his teeth and get it on his nose which you don't want - i got taught that at the vets! If you are having difficulties, when you go back to the vet - ask them to show you how to do it, most vets are happy to show you.

Yoshi is a great name!! Think you should stick to that :)

Vibes for your little bunster:wave:

Fingers crossed the vet can help.

Just so you know, my two buns despise having anything put in their mouth, but they LOVE Fibreplex - so it might be the syringe-in-mouth bit he hates. Maybe try and squeeze a little out and see if he licks it off on his own terms. As a last resort I put some on Bob's paws because he'll still clean himself when poorly.

Put it infront of his nose and see what he does. Even when Bob is really sick, Fibreplex will be the first thing he eats.

Lots of luck.

The pain meds really are the key so definately get some from your vet. I've had a couple of bunnies with ilues and they always seem to feel much better after they've had some pain relief. Don't worry if you don't know what his favs are yet, fresh grass is normally a hit and is good as its full of fibre so can help get the guts moving again.

Yeah I was going to take the medicine with us tonight as he still needs one more dose of each...I've tried going in from the side but I just get worried and frazzled. I shouldn't make excuses though - I'll try to see if we can get the vet to show us again which I'm sure they will. I've never been too great with my animals in the past, I was always very naiive and I don't think I gave them the attention or cleaning they needed at all. Now that I'm a little bit older, I realize all my mistakes and selfishness and I just want to show this bunny a nice, loving home and that I can take proper care of them - that I've grown up. I only ever had one bunny and he was kept off to a really bad start because I kept him in my closet for a few days - I was young and was hiding him from my parents....STUPID! It wasn't a super tiny closet, it was bigger than the cage he ended up in I'm sure and had like blankets and such but it was obviously REALLY STUPID for me to do that - no worries though, like I said, I'm not that naiive anymore and I've done a ton of research and most importantly I know there is a lot of work involved and I along with my boyfriend are willing to put it in and love this bunny as much as we can ^^

Stop beating yourself up, you're doing exactly the right thing.

I had bunnies as a younger person too - i didnt treat them as well as i should of either, as i was naive etc - but your doing the right thing, by doing the right thing by your bun!

You're bunny will love you so much with all the fuss and attention you and your other half are going to give him.

Once he has the pain meds, hopefully he'll start feeling better.

As Amy104 says, grass is normally a good hit :)

We did get him to eat some fresh grass last night and a tiny bit today, but he's still huddled in his corner, and now he won't take the grass. I think you're probably right and that it's the pain. I guess my biggest worry here is I don't know how long this should take :/ Never thought I'd say I wish my animal would be pooping more, but here I am. I've been so nervous all day as I just want this little one to pull through. I only took him out of his cage to feed him, and I held him a little after one or two of the feedings, just to try to calm him...but if he's in pain I think he'd feel better being grounded. On the plus side, I think I've discovered what part of the cage he is designating as his "litter box" so to speak. Is it necessary to have a proper box or litter inside, or is it okay for him to just use the corner. At the moment we are using Wood shavings for bedding...but I have also read that straw is really good. Any recommendations? He's an indoor bunny!

The worst part about it was the one bunny I had, Buddha, ended up with my horrible horrible now ex-boyfriend and his grandparents - I shiver to think what would have happened. If only I had stood up to him and given it to someone else (my parents made me give him away...). But, there is nothing I can do about the past - but I can do good by this little guy now, and that's what I'm planning on doing. I want him to be the happiest little bunny he can be! I'm not angry that he's ill...it'll just make him that much more special. And I definitely think now he is a Yoshi...it just fits. I'll post a picture or two once he gets well...don't think it's fair to catch him while he's ill - I wouldn't want any photos of me being taken while I was sick!!

Dandilions? any fresh herbs that are strong smelling to tempt him may help:wave: But lets see what the vet says.

Really this forum is a pillar when you have a poorly bunny, so you have come to the right place YOSHI sounds lovely when you have him better you will have to tkae some snaps :wave:

It's just easier to clean them if they have a litter tray :)

Biscuit is a house bunny too, i use wood shavings for bedding also, but then he's got free range of a 6ftx2.5ft area in the living room so sleeps on the floor sometimes too - they do specific litter for bunnies and small animals called Megazorb which a lot of people here seem to use, maybe worth investigating this after bunny is better as its better for the bunny so i've been told!

Let us know how you get on when you get back from the vets, we're all rooting for this little one!

Back