• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Castration 2 Males Rebonding Time

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hey RU bods, question from my vet placement - there are 2 brothers coming in for castration tomorrow (4mo) due to becoming territorial in their run, but fine in hutch etc. After the op, how long until they can go back together? or do they need a normal recovery time and rebonding? Thanks

Hey RU bods, question from my vet placement - there are 2 brothers coming in for castration tomorrow (4mo) due to becoming territorial in their run, but fine in hutch etc. After the op, how long until they can go back together? or do they need a normal recovery time and rebonding? Thanks

If they are coming in together and not yet separated then they could be hospitalised together, come home together and carry on as before.

If however territorial aggression has got to a point where serious injury is a risk then they will need to be separated before the op, during the op and afterwards and rebonding on neutral territory will be needed. I would personally wait atleast 4 weeks for hormones to drop off and wounds to heal and immune systems to get back on parr. They could still be hospitalised side by side and kept at home to recover in cages side by side to maintain some sort of bond if possible. Well, that's what I would do anyway :)
It really does depend on how their bond is pre op to what you do post-op.

Have they been separated now ?

If so then I'd leave it about 3-4 weeks before attempting a rebond.

If they are still together atm I would keep them together.

Cheers, they are still together atm as they are fine in the hutch, and one is mainly just being territorial over the other, rather than outright aggression, so it sounds like they'd be best kept together. Might just advise the owner to keep an eye and separate if they get grumpy with each other.

If there are other Rabbits about owner needs to make sure the 2 Bucks are well away from the sight or smell of them to avoid fights triggered by referred aggression.

UPDATE: All went well, recovered under separate vetbeds with a shared layer of bubble wrap (VEEEEERY CUTE!). Think the white one started eating the wound so we put them in babygrows!

Back