• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6ft rabbit run how and should I?

andy5898

Warren Scout
At present my little couple have a 4ft by 4ft rabbit run and love it, they love being outside rather than in there hutch. But I want to sort out a bigger run for them.

I am thinking of a 6ft x 2 or 3ft run for them. But what do people think should I make it or buy it, as I accept making it a lot of the time is the same price as buying but you do get what you want.

The other thing is I have allocated part of the garden to it, and I have read about when you put the grass down put down wire mesh to stop them digging out, is this is a good idea?

Cheers

definitely a good idea to put some mesh down I think I might prefer a 4x4 run to a 6x2 one, it's more square footage. 6x3 is much better because you're giving them 50% extra space.

Is it possible for you to use the panels from your 4x4run as part of the new, larger run? that would cut down the cost somewhat.

Otherwise I'd look around for what you want, assess your DIY skills and look at the cost of making one. Go from there - if you can pick up a second hand one somewhere it might be less than you could make it for.

Personally I'd want a minimum run space of 6ft x 4ft.

I'd definately advise putting mesh under the grass as even if your buns aren't diggers a predator could dig in. However if it was a fixed run (i.e wont be moved) I'd be more inclined to go with something like slabs so you can clean it easier especially as when winter hits that grass will just become mud. You can always grow grass in low seed trays to put inside the run for them to munch.

I found this site the other day, although I've not bought from here myself the 6ft x 4ft run is £69 which doesn't sound too bad to me.

http://bristolhenhouseandhutch.co.uk/#/hutches/4530533598

The bristol hen hutch website looks a good one. I think its probably cheaper to buy the run than it is to make it. I reckon I can get a 6ft x 4ft in so Im going to dig up the flowers in the next few weeks and put grass back down ready for our new run.

If I put patio slabs down will the rabbits miss not being on the grass or will they be quite happy? That way means I don't have to move the run!

I'd definately advise putting mesh under the grass as even if your buns aren't diggers a predator could dig in.
quite, and I'd also like to add a bunny who isn't a digger might suddenly become one. We had our girls in a non-lined run for about 4 months before they randomly decided to dig out one day!

oh, and I lined my runs with hay on top of the mesh, it stops it going to mud but it's softer on their hocks than slabs.

fantastic if you could get a 6x4 run, they really do appreciate every bit of space they get.

So if I put mesh down could i still let them happily on grass, and in the winter put hay down so they don't get wet feet?

Put the mesh down and then lay turf on top. The roots of the grass will grow through the mesh. That way they have the soft grass for their feet but nothing can get in or out.

If making your own run I would advise making aviary style panels. You can make them all aprox. 6ft x 3ft and then you screw them together to make a run of 6ft x 6ft

There's a 7'X4' ish run (trixie natura) on zooplus and other websites, for £60 upwards. Very reasonable prices and I've heard it's good.

If they are not diggers then I wouldn't bother with the mesh. If they do dig then I would. 3 of my rabbits don't dig, one does, so I put her out on concrete instead of grass, poor bun.

If they are not diggers then I wouldn't bother with the mesh. If they do dig then I would. 3 of my rabbits don't dig, one does, so I put her out on concrete instead of grass, poor bun.
you never know when a bun might start to dig though!
I'd say for the relatively little hassle and expense it's worth it. Luckily we found our two the day they dug out but I would never have forgiven myself if we'd truly lost them over the sake of a few ft of wire.

So when the grass goes through thats fine, or could I just buy a few strips of turf and put them directly on the mesh?

What would people put down in the winter so they can still go on the grass?

Back