• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi Jabs in breeding rabbits

Rosie123

New Kit
Hi Everyone

Can anyone help I have a real dilemma. I am a small time hobby breeder we only have 6 rabbits and they all live in big hutches with runs in our garden We live deep in the Cornish countryside in an area which is surrounded by farmland and wild bunnies. I have always vaccinated against Myxi as it is rife in my area. I have had three different vet practices vaccinate for me all of whom were fully aware that I use my guys for breeding. I recently took two of the gang for their annual jab and the vet bothered to read the back of the bottle, which states 'do not use on breeding animals'.

I cannot find out what affect the injections would already have had on my guys, I have emailed the makers of the vaccine but they will not reply. I have had a drop in litter numbers this year, and also lost my very precious giant doe shortly after she gave birth, whether this is all related I don't know.

My question is - does anybody know of another vaccine on the market? rather than the Ivomec one.

Does anyone know what affect these jabs would have already have had on my rabbits? Most of them have had either 2 or 3 annual jabs.

I really don't want to have to bring them all inside as they enjoy the freedom they have so much. We have tried to make the garden as wild rabbit proof as poss but nothing is ever 100% and the cats go out hunting and come home covered in wild rabbit fleas then sit on top of the hutches!

I apologise for the essay, and would appreciate anyones input, I have been waiting 3 weeks for any of the vets to get back to me, and the drug company. Guessing they don't like my question!

Many thanks
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I'm not sure this is the best forum to ask on because most people are not in favour of breeding. I personally am not in favour of irresponsible breeding.

I would keep on at the vaccination company and also ask the vets to check with them too.

high risk areas they recommend vaccinating against Myxi 6monthly. Do you vaccinate against VHD too? I'm afraid i dont know the answer to your question, hope the drug company comes back to you. It's great that you do vaccinate but maybe re-think the breeding??

Some Breeders dont vaccinate as they believe vaccinating causes infertility.

Seems they'd rather risk Myxomatosis than infertility :roll:

AFAIK no research has been done on the effects to developing foetus if a pregnant Doe were to be vaccinated.

Did the label say anything else? It might just mean don't use on breeding animals who's offspring are intended for human consumption, or don't use on pregnant/lactating does?

Do you mean nobivac? Ivomec isn't a vaccination, it's a drug which kills mites etc. It won't stop any of your animals getting myxo. The only myxomatosis vaccine in the UK is nobivac myxo. I would definitely worry about myxo though as it's not just the cats and fleas, it is also from flying insects such as gnats and mozzies so even keeping them out of the garden won't stop it from spreading.

Its datasheet does say do not use in breeding or pregnant animals. It also says that the vaccine virus may spread to susceptible in-contact rabbits - the virus is a live virus from a different illness to myxo and it relies on the rabbit developing cross-immunity from the similar virus.

My interpretation of this would therefore be:
1) Do not use the vaccine in pregnant animals as it may harm the foetuses
2) I think its worry about breeding animals is probably that the vaccine virus itself could spread through a breeding colony where buns are put in contact with each other and in particular to babies who would possibly not have the strength/immunity to deal with it.

If I were you, I would probably make sort a'break' in the breeding so that they can all be vaccinated at the same time. This would mean that all the females can be vaccinated without risk to any unborn babies, and the buns could all develop their immunity over a period of a few weeks without risking the virus transferring to any kits.

Right, I breed my rabbits, and they are all vaccinated with myxi vaccine every 6 months (VHD aswell once a year). I have heard that it causes infertility, but I (and a friend of mine) havent experianced any problems.
I know that one of the vaccines cannot be given to pregnant does (tbh i wouldnt give any while they are pregnant).
I personally feel i cannot take the risk in them getting myxi, i put that over thier breeding capibility.

eta, i have heard they are testing something on the continant

Cheers, thanks for the advice. Yes, sorry I do mean Nobivac. I only breed one litter from each of my three does a year. So I normally vaccinate when they are not pregnant or feeding, and I do vaccinate all of them together. I was just worried about the ongoing effect, that possibly the vaccine had. Maybe I shall just keep on as I have been. I'm not particularly bothered if it means it leads to infertility, but obviously would be concerned if it meant that there was a risk if illness to my does or their young.

Thanks everybody for your advice

Back