• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilt buns and dental problems

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I haven't had this problem with any of our other head tilt bunnies just Dave, but was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this :?

Dave needs to have his incisors removed because he is wearing them down really unevenly on one side. It appears that because his head is tilted he is eating more on one side of his mouth, which is wearing his incisors down at a strange angle so they are becoming really pointed and now they don't meet at all :?

I really don;t want to put him under for them to be removed as I feel the risks are too high :? so for now will stick to regular burrs. He hasn't helped matters as he has somehow managed to break one incisor off completely :(

ETA thankfully his molars are fine :)

I believe dental problems (of all varieties) are common with head tilt bunnies. Particularly the lower side molars (which is obviously different from what you're experiencing).

In her later days Tilly had her teeth checked and they were a ridiculous angle but apparently grinding down the food although we did eventually get it done incase that was causing her problem (which it wasn't- we suspect secondary uterine cancer in the lungs).

Its hard deciding to put them under because their recovery is so much harder than the average rabbit. Poor you and Poor old Dave.

As it is only his molars we do have a choice so I think we will continue to burr for now. he is such a unstressed cuddle bun which helps :)

If it was his molars then obviously it would be a different situation and we would have no choice but to GA.

:) That DOES help :)

I guess leaving it until necessary is probably best. I would guess you've probably seen a head tilt bunny trying to recover from a GA before, but if you haven't, its horrid with rolling and all sorts, a lot of the time :(

:) That DOES help :)

I guess leaving it until necessary is probably best. I would guess you've probably seen a head tilt bunny trying to recover from a GA before, but if you haven't, its horrid with rolling and all sorts, a lot of the time :(

Yep, I nearly had a nervous break down getting dave neutered. I put it off for about 6 months :oops::oops:

:wave: No experience as yet, but very interested in anything you learn about this as Brownie now has permanent head tilt, and was previously the only non-dental bun of our three :roll:

I honestly think that concious dental is far the best option here, given Dave's calm temperament, & head tilt.
Everything crossed for him.

Poor man :(
If it is easily maintainable with burring then I see no reason to put him at the risk of GA.
That's just what I would do though.....and have NO experiance what so ever with poorly buns

Back