• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you syringe feed without the syringe getting clogged?

Stator

Warren Veteran
As above, how on earth are you supposed to syringe feed any of these recovery foods when all they do is clog up the syringe? I've tried 5ml and 1ml syringes, using Science Recovery and the Oxbow Critical Care, they just clog up immediately. You can't get any into their mouth without pressing really hard and then it all comes out in one huge rush and goes everywhere. I've tried diluting it a lot more than the packet instructions say, but you get to the point where it's just water and you would have to force feed them about 6 litres of the stuff to get anything worthwhile in them.

Please share how on earth you are supposed to do this? :(

Last edited:
I make a mix of 50/50 critical care and finely pureed veggie baby food, then gradually add water until you get the consistency of icing sugar. Use a large 50ml catheter tipped syringe for feeding.

Use a female leur syringe instead of a male leur syringe.

The female leurs are wider and do not block as easy as a male leur. You can easily identify a female leur because it is purple and not the normal white / clear colour.

I make porridge up with more water than usual and a tiny bit of apple and banana. Cook it for about two minutes and then puree it. Serve at room temperature with a syringe. ;)

They love the stuff and you can always add recovery food to it. Just be careful because it's not their ideal diet, but it's always worked for me.

Just to add, have you tried feeding from a bowl? Mine will eat recovery from the bowl even when they won't accept normal food, particualy if it's their teeth. Good luck!

Or try Oxbow Critical Care fine grind, which is much easier to mix. :)
I agree, The oxbow critical care - fineblend - is so easy, and the buns seem to like it . You can get it from www.vetsuk. Its about £12
I've had problems of this nature in the past too and didn't know about the Fine Grind - sounds ideal. :)

Is the website Barbara quoted meant to be www.vetuk.co.uk ? The URL above isn't valid, I don't think.

I've also had success making the hole of syringe a bit bigger with the tine of a fork.

I cut the smaller bit off the bottom of the syringe, so that the hole at the end is wider. (Hope that made sense)

Works well with 1ml or 2ml syringes.

I use Oxbow fine grind and it's fantastic.

It's more expensive, but I think it's worth it. I've been having to syringe feed one of my chinchillas for the past 10 weeks, so anything that makes that job easier is worth the extra expense. :D

I used to get it from VetUK, but they've recently put the price up. At the moment the cheapest I can find it is here http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ho0 They get it sent out really quickly.

I used to cut the nozzle of syringes and then put tape around the top of the plunger (to prevent it from going down too far). However, I now use a large 60 ml syringe which has a larger hole anyway and is a lot quicker although the bunnies need lots of little bits of feed so that they have time to swallow.

I had this problem....I made it really runny and used a fork to widen the nozzley bit on the syringe.
Didnt find that cutting the end off helped at all cause Marnie was too wriggly and I couldnt get it in her mouth.
TBH, I didn't get the whole sachet (recomended daily intake apparently :shock::shock: ) into her....not even vaguely, but I got something into her whoch was the important thing as I was so worried about stasis.

I ordered some Oxbow Fine and some larger syringes and they should come today but last night he was admitted and has been at the vet. I'm so worried because he's such a nervous bunny and won't eat when stressed. :(

You can make the hole in the syringe even wider with a fork or end of a whisk, if you warm the plasic slightly but not enough to deform it, let alone melt it!

They kept him in for 2 days being syringe fed but yesterday he started to do a little poo and the bloods didn't show much except low blood cell counts. So we brought him home and he started eating on his own immediately. He also did a fair bit of poo overnight so I'm hoping he is okay now. Was preparing to syringe feed him the fine stuff, but now it isn't really needed. It's so hard to make the judgement when they're so scared at the vets they won't eat on their own :?

Back