• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

questiont about our bunny

annmcc1976

New Kit
around june 16th I got my kids a Holland lop bunny from a breeder in the area.

She/her is a pure holland lop, her paretns have papers but the lady never got them on the offspring as she was done breeding and getting rid of all her rabbits. The bunny I was told is 12 weeks old the day I got her./him so that would put it around 16/18 or so weeks old?

I told her i wanted a female, and she started to show me all her girls.. and I fell in love with "molly"

And today.. we let her out of the cage for her daily play, and one of our cats who is Normaly Terrified of molly lays on the floor and starts to let molly nuzzle her.. it was just to dang cute... we the cute went to down rite :shock:

when she started to get on onyx back and "hump"... I manage to pull myself off the floor from fits of laughter. and get molly off onyx. hubby was no help as he was paralized with laughter

I did not at that moment observe any "penis".. so I thought Mabey she's gender confused.. lol.. My cats who are both girls do funny stuff alot (they are not fix yet) so i sit back down and molly again dose it.. this time i grab her and look and thought i saw what looked like a penis.. but I do not observe a scrotum.

can a female pose some characteristics of a male?????

I'm just currious.. I been calling this rabbit a GIRL and HER and MOLLY for almost 2 months.. my kids are all upset asking if we have to rename molly.
I told them no.. if it ends up a boy it wont need it's name changed. it don't know the diffrence between BOY and GIRL hames. it's a rabbit... we will just cay it's Moe-lly.

any easy way I can get it sexed? I do not want to spend a arm and a leg to have a vet do what I could do myself If i know what to look for. It's been YEARS since i have had a bunny.. Think it was in like 90. and he was 100% abvious as hes "sack" hung. and with that rabbit i knew.. This one has me confused

Both male and female rabbits hump - it's not always sexual and usually relates to dominance issues as they are social creatures living in the wild in groups so have strict hierarchy.

Both male and female rabbits hump - it's not always sexual and usually relates to dominance issues as they are social creatures living in the wild in groups so have strict hierarchy.

This :)

It might be worth getting a vet check so that you can decide whether to spay or neuter, plsu, if you're i the UK your bunny will obviously need vaccinations, so gender can be checked then.

This :)

It might be worth getting a vet check so that you can decide whether to spay or neuter, plsu, if you're i the UK your bunny will obviously need vaccinations, so gender can be checked then.

Im in the states and i never put much thought into wether she/he'd need vaccinations. I try not to take my pets to the vet if it's not nessary, I like to save up that money for if i have a emergency. if they do not need to go why waste that money when You can save it for a real emergency.

and I don't think Paying the vet fee ust to chek gender is a emergency lol.
I'm going to look and see when molly is more coprative. I emaild the breeder i got her from.. she has to pass my street on her way home.. so I may ask if she can stop by and recheck for me. Im sure she'd like to know as she has this rabbit housed with other females. and im sure if it's a boy.. whomever adopted them. well will be suprised if molly was at all. "active" lol.

well I decided to clean the bunny's cage now instead of tonight, and i had my son get me a glass of water so i could slick back fir in the area of the "private" and where the "nads" would be

grabbed atowl and wraped molly up.. and looked.

well :shock:

P2707100000.jpg

P2707100001.jpg

so am i rite? the "sticky out:oops: thing" did not patrude out very far,
but am i rite to assume the "round bump" is a scrotum?" there was one on the other side but it did not patrude out... and that one didnt patrude out till I ran my finger over and n was messin with her/him. the other side is likea like a wrinkle of skin. I do plan on doing one more check when hubby gets home and my kids are in bed so he/she dose not get so stressed out.

I emailed the lady and she did say> females will hump when they come of age. but now she wont verifiy 100% she sold me a girl. she did say she had Molly in with all girls the entire time before I adopted Her/him.

I"m now having my kids ask me what and why was molly doing that to their kitty. and What is Humping lol.. OH JOY what to say to a 5/8/9/10 yr old.. my 12 yr old I think would understand but so far he's in the dark about "repoduction". I ask him and he says he dont know.. and i believe him. cause were open with the kids and I tell zach ther is nothing he cant ask. or tell me.

but I am for now assuming SHE is a HE. my 4 yr old is the most upset. she thinks MOLLY has to have her name changed.. I told her.. boy or girl.. the bunny can still be molly. rabbits dont know the diffrence between boy n girl names. lol..

most absolutely definitely a BOY!!!

Molly is a lovely boys name!

However most people would recommend that you find a vet that is used to neutering male rabbits and get him castrated (the rabbit not the vet) as male rabbits usually (not all - but almost all) do things like spray urine at you, bite, hump anything and everything, and get quite territorial. neutering will stop that happening and then he can have a nice female friend as well!

Yup, definitely a boy. Molly is a great boys name :) I have boys called Sky, Angel, Star, Hope, Dawn, all sorts of girlie names :lol:

I defiitely agree about finding a good vet and getting him neutered.

well... That is good to know that we finaly know.. even thou Up till last night we were under the impresion we had a HER!!

how much do vets typicaly charge to castrate a male rabbit?

I've been saving to get my girls (cats) fixed.
as i have discoverd Female cats DO SPRAY!!!.

Guess I"m gonna call around tomarrow. n see what i can find as far as who's cheepest lol

well... That is good to know that we finaly know.. even thou Up till last night we were under the impresion we had a HER!!

Guess I"m gonna call around tomarrow. n see what i can find as far as who's cheepest lol

Rabbits are rather trickier than cats or dogs to operate on as they need special aneasthetic etc so the important thing is not the cost but how experienced the rabbit vet is - cannot emphasise that too much - a vet that does not often operate on rabbits will have a FAR higher risk loosing the rabbit during surgery. A rabbit savvy vet will be MUCH better and also will know about pain relief and NOT starving the rabbit before the op.

I paid £55 for my boy rabbit (who was also sold as a girl), but it's different all over the place.
I will say though, once boys are done they become much nicer! Charlie used to stink and he refused to be litter trained till I got him fixed :lol:

LOL a stubborn male!! could be why he likes to piddle outside the cage instead of piddling in the cage before he comes out LOL..

Back