• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small spots of blood

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok Jimby has wee'eed on his feeding bed again, and there are two tiny spots of blood on the bed, we have had a look at him overall, as much as we can underneath and his feet. Everything seems normal, he is eating, pooping, wee'ing and drinking.
Any ideas?!

Checked his bum- all fine
He did have a sore hock but it cleared up a few weeks back and can not see any evidence of it now.
Can not see anything wrong with his nails.
He has not eaten anything other than the usual- hay, a few pellets, herbs- basil, mint, parsley and a few spring greens.

Oh one more thing. Have you smelt it? Is it blood or cecal poo? I ask because I've thought this before and it turned out it was poo where they'd been eating them on my bed and left a small spot on the cover.

Oh one more thing. Have you smelt it? Is it blood or cecal poo? I ask because I've thought this before and it turned out it was poo where they'd been eating them on my bed and left a small spot on the cover.

:oops: :roll: Too late, I have sprayed it with Pet Wizard. I hope that is all it was... well I can not see anything wrong with him at all, he seems fine in himself and is eating and pooping, only thing is, he did sleep in his hay box today which he very rarely does? :shock:

Is it rare for him to wee anywhere other than his litter tray? Could the blood have been in his wee? Is his wee at all chalky?

I'm thinking on the lines of urinary tract/bladder infection. Bunnies that usually only wee in the same place could well wee somewhere else when they are in pain. That *may* also be a clue as to him kipping in his litter tray.

I'd expect to be able to see he was in pain if this was the case though and I'm sure you would be aware, unless he's really good at disguising it, unlikely as it would be very painful.

He sometimes pees in other places but it is rare!
He has pee'eed on our bed once, on his feeding bed twice, the floor once and in his hay box (different to litter box) a few times but other than that he does pee in his litter box.
He does not appear to be in pain, he is hot though as he is panting a bit so I have popped his ice pod in with him and he is lying on it now.
Would he still be bouncing around if he was in that much pain?! and eat and poop, still go crazy for his treats?
The 'blood' was really only 2 tiny spots, smaller than the size of your litter finger nail and one was in a spot outside of the wee patch.

He is producing quite a lot of 'yummy poops' tonight!
He is laying down stretched out so I dont think he is in pain.

He sometimes pees in other places but it is rare!
He has pee'eed on our bed once, on his feeding bed twice, the floor once and in his hay box (different to litter box) a few times but other than that he does pee in his litter box.
He does not appear to be in pain, he is hot though as he is panting a bit so I have popped his ice pod in with him and he is lying on it now.
Would he still be bouncing around if he was in that much pain?! and eat and poop, still go crazy for his treats?The 'blood' was really only 2 tiny spots, smaller than the size of your litter finger nail and one was in a spot outside of the wee patch.

Unlikely to be bouncy if he had an infection, but it's all I could think of. I wouldn't expect much blood in the wee with an infection. Maybe he has just knocked a claw and there's nothing to see now.

Hope he's okay

Thankyou I will keep an eye on him and maybe check with a call to the vets tomorrow just to make sure.
Going to get him all ready for bed now then I guess I had better go and get ready for bed too... :roll:

Ok so have not seen any more blood, he has eaten his breakfast with no problem and is now having a nap.
I called the vets and she was not too worried just said to keep an eye on him and if I could get a urine sample and pop it in to them as that would be a lot better than taking him in and stressing him out.

It could still be a urinary infection. With an infection the blood in the urine is not always visable to the naked eye so it may be worth getting him checked out and getting a urine sample checked :)

Back