• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did I do the right thing? Badger and vaccinations

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Badger went for a checkup today. The vet was very impressed with how he is and how he looks. He has gained weight, which I knew he had and I'm chuffed about. His chest sounds good and everything looks good (small spurs on his teeth but that's not the end of the world). We talked about his breathing being more of an effort recently and about his steroid dose and she said that on days he is struggling he can have one tablet twice a day, as opposed to just once a day, so that's great. If I wake up in the morning and see he is struggling I can give him an additional tablet. Good. :thumb: we like that. :D

The vet did say that she felt he was in good enough condition to vaccinate.

I went against her recommendation of vaccinating against myxo. I feel with the steroids and undercurrent of respiratory issues and also the fact he is on steroids and permanent antibiotics that it would put his body under too much stress. I said that if he was unvaccinated and got myxo he would die (well, he would be PTS), but that if he contracted myxo whilst vaccinated I would still let him be PTS and not try and battle him through it (I think Santa made that point to me which is incredibly true and sensible- so thank you). She said she wouldn't sway me either way because she knew I was making an informed decision.

The other way I look at it is that I can undo this decision and get him vaccinated if I want, but I can't change it if I get him vaccinated and it makes him ill.

I always felt it was the right thing for him, to not vaccinate him, but I'm very unsettled by going against her. Did I do the right thing?

ETA- To be fair, you can't say if I did the right thing or not. I guess I just mean, well, I don't know what I mean. I guess I just need some reassurance that making the choice I thought was best for him was ok.

On a complete side note and not related at all, I was thinking on the way home that it would be amazing to start up a santuary for rabbits with head tilt, and then Tilly's song came on the radio. Tilly was my original head tilt bunny and it was her who gave me their love. So that was nice and made me smile :) Maybe she thinks its a good idea.

Last edited:
I think you have made absolutely the right decision.

Even if you had decided to vaccinate, it may well not have given full protection due to Badgers ongoing health issues.

I think it sounds like you did the right thing, the vaccination doesn't mean he def won't get myxi and the risks associated with the vaccine could've undone all his hard work :)

Oh and the song coming on the radio is a definite sign ;)

Thank you :) Especially you Liz.

It feels like the right choice, and my family agree, its just very unsettling going against what a vet recommends.

I agree too - I remember I had Eddie vaccinated once he had recovered from his eye op and was doing really well. My vet checked him over, was really pleased with how well he was and we both agreed it was time to get him done. He came crashing back down within about 12 hours of the vaccination I seem to recall. If I was you, I would have done exactly the same.

I think youve one the right thing, if it was me I would have made the same decision too. Me and my vet were talking about this with Honey too, as I will be in the same boat with vaccs are due.

I also think you made the right decision.

Vin was due her vaccinations during her EC and I decided not to go ahead with them, as I felt the possible risks outweighed potential benefits. It terrified me as Myxi is rife in the wildies up here but I was doing the right thing for her.

Re the song, definitely a sign, they send us messages in ways we don't expect :love:

I agree too - I remember I had Eddie vaccinated once he had recovered from his eye op and was doing really well. My vet checked him over, was really pleased with how well he was and we both agreed it was time to get him done. He came crashing back down within about 12 hours of the vaccination I seem to recall. If I was you, I would have done exactly the same.

I think Eddie nearly went back to how bad his eyes originally were after the vaccination. Even though he seems fairly well in himself, I have never had him vaccinated in the 18 months he has been here. I feel this is definately the right decision for him, doesn't stop the niggling guilt in the back of my head though.

Back