• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sturdier than chicken wire and a desk

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
What can I use to shield my desk from a rabbit that chewed through metal rabbit wire netting? I'm quite desperate. :-(
Let me explain, Maia has shown the uncanny ability to jump on my desk no matter what I do to leave her without a climbing way - which means that she must be able to clear over a meter with a jump from standing still.
For the thousandth time she has chewed through the few wires that for a variety of reasons I can't shield and I've lost all my patience. But I need something really sturdy.
My desk is in a corner so I can take advantage of that to exploit the wall on two sides, but I need to protect the other two sides and especially my chair while keeping the desk and computer accessible for myself.
Please help me with some king of project, I'm home alone because my OH is on holiday and this needs to be fixed ASAP.

can you shut her out of that room?
re: the wires - have you considered trunking (or whatever it's called) that would protect the wires themselves from being chewed.

I have no idea how you'd protect your chair, other than maybe go buy some chew stoppa spray? tastes foul so the rabbit won't want to chew there.

No I can't shut her out of the room of course, it's the rabbit's room. My computer is there because there's no space anywhere else.
Most cables are shielded already but alas, there are a few that need to be movable and can't be put inside one of those things.
On top of that I've been at the vet's to discuss about Maia's spay and the nurse kept asking me "Are you sure?" YES I'M SMURFING SURE!!!! How stressing...

I considered raising the desk, but what height can Maia clear? Who knows! I'm quite short and if I overdo it, a backache is guardanteed, but if I don't rise enough she will sure jump on it.

In that case I reckon chew stoppa is the only thing for it. It will teach her that it doesn't taste very nice so even when you stop using it she should know better than to chew it.

you can pick it up in pets at home (link) and it's suitable for rabbits.

Back