• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns in rented Houses

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
We're making the big move in a weeks time so am just trying to finalise some arrangements for the bunnies living quarters! As its a rented house we'll need to be careful with the carpets etc as Maddie can be a bit hit and miss with her toilet habits and I'm not sure how she'll react in a new house.

Any ideas how I can protect the carpet a bit? Thought about putting some lino down where their cage is (on top of carpet) or would that make the carpet a bit manky?

Ideas gratefully accepted !!! (I want to get my deposit back!)

We have laminate in our rented house, but when I owned a house with carpets, it was a new build and we wanted to keep the carpets pristine, so we put rugs over the carpet, that worked well. However, our buns never weed outside of their litter tray, it was only poops, and the occasional caec that got squished into the rug :oops:

I think you definitely need something, cos some bunny stains just don't shift. Speak to Snowberry - she has a wee-freely bunny, and her brand new carpets got ruined, firstly by the wee itself, then the stuff she used to try and clean it bleeched it :?

Eww - yeh we thought we'd got away with it in our house now with the help of Bob Martin spray and a Rug Doctor, but I think the underlay is ruined too. Luckily you can't see that bit!

Might just stock up on lots of rugs..

I live in a rented place and unfortunately Pierre the naughty bun has chewed and dug the carpet but to stop him doing it anymore I put down carpet tiles. They cost £2.99 up from any hardware store depending on colours, they might even be cheaper than that. Now those are down he doesn't touch them, although the smaller one i bought which I cut to size to fit one corner he tends to nuzzle out the way then dig but I normally catch him doing it. :)

I think you can put laminate floor down over carpet?? I put rugs down in our old place but Joe managed to get under one and eat a massive chunk out of the carpet, then when we got Jess she wee'd all over and it just wouldn't come out, we had to get a new carpet before we left.

Our new place has got laminate floor but then Joe decided to eat the skirting board in the kitchen, the kitchen wall by the back door :shock: then every single electric cable in the front room one day while we were at work....they now live in the garden, where they can wee and poop all they like, they're currently eating their way through the ramp up to their hutch, but hey, it's their house they can do what they like in it, our deposits safe :lol:

i put lino over top of the carpet to protect it which has worked quite well.. they only problem is i never foudn a way of securing it so it tends to slide a bit and leave abit of a gap at the edge - i didnt do the entire room, and yup you guessed it. thats the spot someone wees in sometimes so i have a nice orangey/brown stain in one corner

Back