• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks?? (pics) U/D Its bleeding

weedug

Mama Doe
Floppy has a slightly spayed back leg, not sure of the cause (he has been to the vet and they thought it was either because he had been born into really cramped conditions or spay leg). He tends to put more weight on the non spayed leg. He is still slightly underweight so weight isn't the problem, and is about 14 weeks old.

When I was checking him over I noticed a little sore area under the fur on his good leg (the one that takes most of his weight). I'm not sure if it is needing to be seen by the vet. The skin isn't broken. Sorry about the bad photos.

002-2.jpg

Both legs. The one on the left is the good leg. No sores to be seen.

004.jpg

003-1.jpg

With the fur pulled back slightly.

Last edited:
It looks to me like a normal hock callous. Many buns have these without going on to develop full sore hocks - but it is a risk factor and it is how sore hocks begin. If this is his bad leg that he is mostly weight bearing on then it is not surprising, and common with buns with mobility issues such as three legged buns where too much weight is distributed onto the hock. In these circumstances there isn't a great deal you can do other than watch it closely. I would NOT apply anything to it at this stage, the fur surrounding it is doing it's job in protecting it from further friction/pressure. Creams and lotions can squash this fur, expose the hock further and make the skin softer and more liable to fracture = open to infection which is something you want to avoid.

I would leave well alone for now. Keep his nails trim as possible, and make sure he has plenty of soft bedding when he rests up that really gives under foot. Outdoor plenty of soft hay is most practical, indoors to avoid mess it is easier to use veterinary bedding padded up with towels underneath for absorbency and a blanket or cotton sheet/pillow case on top.
I don't think he needs to see a vet at this point, but keep an eye on it. If it becomes very inflammed or cracks and bleeds then you will probably need a course of NSAID's and covering abx just incase to reduce inflammation and risk of infection. I think you need to be prepared for the fact with his mobility issues this hock could progress.

So glad you think he is OK without going to the vet. His tummy has been nice and settled the past couple of days and I was really worried he would need medication which would upset it again. I haven't put anything on it, so at least I got that right :lol:

I will keep a close eye on it, and no doubt post more pics if I'm concerned :oops::lol:. I've not yet had a bun with sore hocks so not sure when they need the vet. And I so don't want his good leg to get sore.

He hates walking on hay, so I wondered what else to use for the run? I am thinking of getting more rolls of grass for part of the run, and vetbed, duvet or similar for the rest. And maybe old duvets for the shed, with vetbed for where he sleeps.

Or would something else be better?

I agree totally with pretty lupin, re cause & 1st. line management.

Plenty of grass in his run is good. You might have to water it at night when he's in, to soften up the soil underneath.(It's like concrete down here.)
Some buns feel unstable, & can't hop properly on what we want them to use! I'm just wondering whether with his splay leg your's might be like that.

I've heard of some folks using stable matting (for horses). Maybe it's worth sourcing some now, just in case.

Thanks for the reassurance, and the stable matting. Would never have thought of that.

Was just a bit worried cause it looks different to the other one. But then I'm a worrier :roll:

Pretty lupin is spot on. That's a weight bearing issue. (he may prefer to rest on that foot even) Absolutely right that it's most commonly seen in amputee buns, usually callous, & that ground with more "give in it" can often prevent cracking - infection.:)

It's just started to bleed :(, so I've got an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon. He's been on vet bed and soft quilted things too.

My normal vet is on holiday just now and I don't think I like the woman we're seeing :(

It's just started to bleed :(, so I've got an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon. He's been on vet bed and soft quilted things too.

My normal vet is on holiday just now and I don't think I like the woman we're seeing :(

If the wound has opened then you may need a short course of antibiotics just to protect from infection. A short course of metacam would be helpful too, for both pain and inflammation. This might become a regular thing with your bun's mobility probs - you may need to learn to dress the hock. Liz (Hugo's There) and Jane (Jack's Jane) both have a lot of rabbits they do this regularly with and i'm sure would be happy to give you some advice if you needed it. You can put creams on AS LONG AS you bandage the wound as well. I think from what I recall that they find a baby sock works quite well to keep the bandage on and keep bunny from pulling it off, maybe even use sticky vet tape to adhere the baby sock to the leg to prevent that being pulled off to.
For now, just see if providing padded places to rest can help with this, but just be aware that this might be a long-term thing. Metacam when needed should help reduce the inflammation.
I hope your vet app goes ok x

Good to know what I should be getting from the vet. It's not bleeding a lot but the skin is broken.

Will try to get more padded things for him tomorrow. He loves trying them all out!

I thought that he would have this problem when I saw his leg. Have no problem looking after him if it is long term, just need to find out what to do for him.

I'm a right noodle. :oops: I posted & forgot to press the button.
There's help with thread Lady Lydia's hocks - gorgous rex bunny but no strong guard hairs on her feet.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184616&highlight=Lady+Lydia's+sore+hocks
I think that somewhat later Jack's Jane found much benefit from savlon colloidial gel to control infection.
ETA it's so important to keep infection out. Unlike our heels there's very little tissue betewwn the skin & bone - all the padding is the fur on the outside.

Last edited:
I'm a right noodle. :oops: I posted & forgot to press the button.
There's help with thread Lady Lydia's hocks - gorgous rex bunny but no strong guard hairs on her feet.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184616&highlight=Lady+Lydia's+sore+hocks
I think that somewhat later Jack's Jane found much benefit from savlon colloidial gel to control infection.
ETA it's so important to keep infection out. Unlike our heels there's very little tissue betewwn the skin & bone - all the padding is the fur on the outside.

I think it's called Savlon Advanced Gel (available from chemist) - I have used it once or twice and noted it does seem to increase healing time. I think Jane has also used colloidal silver and another preparation - but I can't remember the name. I'm hoping at this stage the hock will self-heal but it's worth bearing these cream names in mind. :)

I will keep the creams in mind, thanks.

Floppy has been resting for a little while now and thankfully the bleeding seems to have stopped just now. I am assuming when he is more active tomorrow again it will start again.

I don't really want to confine his space because he needs the exercise for his lack of muscle mass.

I am keeping his area as clean as possible to try to help stop infection.

Are the medicines he might need likely to upset his tummy, do you know? He needs to watch what he eats as he gets too many special poops.

I will keep the creams in mind, thanks.

Floppy has been resting for a little while now and thankfully the bleeding seems to have stopped just now. I am assuming when he is more active tomorrow again it will start again.

I don't really want to confine his space because he needs the exercise for his lack of muscle mass.

I am keeping his area as clean as possible to try to help stop infection.

Are the medicines he might need likely to upset his tummy, do you know? He needs to watch what he eats as he gets too many special poops.

No you mustn't confine his space at all. Exercise improves circulation and this will help his foot to heal as because it is an extremity it's blood supply will be poorer, and as you say, he needs to build his muscle mass which might in turn improve his gait and shift the weight balance again from off his hock if we are lucky.

The NSAID's (metacam for example) won't upset his tum no, but some people prefer to give it alongside ranitidine (zantac) to protect against gastric irritation, I have always found if given with food it's fine.
I suspect you will only be given a course of baytril if anything, which although can upset the guts a little being an oral syrup, it tends not to be too bad compared to other antibiotics. I would personally ALWAYS give a probiotic at the same time such as fibreplex or biolapis :)

I feel a bit better now knowing what the vet might give us. If it is the nice vet she will give us everything she can, if it is the horrid one I don't know. He does need something now as I really need to protect the good leg so he can stay active. Even when he gets up from a rest he has more problems walking, so don't want his mobility restricted with pain.

He has settled on a pile of soft things now. A bit like the Princess and the Pea, only he's a little boy :lol:

May I add that I agree with pretty lupin about using creams completely, only when the hock is at high risk of infection, or infected for exactly the same reason of flattening the surrounding fur.

Just back from the vet, and he didn't get anything for his hocks just now. It hasn't been bleeding since yesterday so I assume that's OK.

His little legs are in a bit of a state it seems. The knees are dislocating really easily and there is something wrong with the hips. She said I should limit his activity a little bit until the x-rays a week today.

I have posted another thread about his legs.

The sore hock isn't going to go away for a bit, so I will keep a close eye on it.

Did you use colloidal silver for your problem if so do you know how much colloidal gold is needed, I also use colloidal silver but at times I feel I am going a bit over board with it, I do not want to use too less or too much. I think there is a certain amount to use in situations like this, enough to solve the problem.

No, I didn't use anything on it. It is not too bad now.

Floppy's main problem is his knee joints. One is dislocated and one dislocates easily.

Sorry not to be of any help to you.

Back