• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel awful...please help

Rose24

Warren Scout
Hello All,

I am in a complete mess. I am in the process of moving house and had booked my bunnies into a lovely boarding place today. I got out their vaccination cards and popped them in my bag and suddenly noticed that Hibby should have had her vaccination two days ago…I really believed that it was next month! I feel awful and a terrible bunny owner and now I don’t know what to do about the boarding.

The lady at the boarding is lovely and has said that there is a risk but it’s very low and she will take them both. However, she did stress that it could happen. I have phoned the vet and she is booked in today but obviously it takes a week or so to kick in.

I really don’t know what to do as I really do not want her to go into boarding when she has only just had her jab but I don’t want to put them through the stress of removal men and their house disappearing before their eyes.

Please do not shout at me, no one is angrier at me than I am :evil:

I am ashamed to admit it on here but I had to because I need to clear headed advice. x x x

Youre getting it done asap.It was due 2 days ago.
I think youve been smacked over the head with the guilt wooden spoon.
Dont worry.These things happen.My Roland was overdue.He was ok.
I think youd have to be very unlucky.I reckon all will be well.xxxxx

I agree. I personally don't think 2 days is a huge deal. Neither does the boarder because otherwise she wouldn't be taking them.

I would say that probably the stress of everything you have been going through is taking its toll and causing this reaction.

I never book my vaccinations to the day, just the rough time. You're getting it done and I don't see that there is anything wrong with that.

With the risks for VHD lower than Myxi 'as far as we know' as noone really knows the risks, I think I would be inclined to leave her jab until she comes back from boarding - although that really is up to the boarder, as most will not take unvaccinated rabbits, and with good reason. My concern is vaccinating her and then moving her to a strange place whilst her immune system is under parr from the vaccination. I think I would be more concerned about that additional stress on her immune system over the risk of being a week or so out on the VHD. The immune status dips off slowly over the year after vaccination, and the anual jabs are boosters not revaccinations. Her immunity will not suddenly stop on the day she has run out, more that she is less well protected that is all. It's up to you what you do really. If you do vaccinate today and proceed with moving her into boarding then your boarder is going to need to keep a very close eye on her for any surgence of ill health due to a suppressed immune system.

Don't worry, these things happen. x

My vet says that for boosters they don't take so long to kick in and start working immediately.

Which vaccination is it that she has missed anyway?

I don't imagine any of them stop working suddenly after 365 days (or 6 months either)

Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes sometimes. I doubt a few days will make all that much difference. :)

best of luck with the house move and resettling the buns afterwards. I did the same when I did a big hoemove last year because it would just have been too chaotic unpacking around them!

Don't beat yourself up, these things happen. No-one is going to shout at you either (or I'll doss them one! :lol:) Two days is by no means the end of the world, it's hard to remember these things when you're moving.

The risk of her getting anything is very low, even more so as all the other buns at the boarders will have been vacc'd. Good luck with the move!

Buttercup had EC when her vaccinations were due AND to make matters worse although she was in recovery from EC and very much better than she had been, she still needed to be boarded along with her 'husbun' Squirrel as we had a family holiday booked.

We discussed all options with our vet (very rabbit savvy) and he said the vacinations don't simply 'stop' but gradually lose their potency and protection. Under his advice we boarded both rabbits as they were being kept apart from others due to the EC anyway and Buttercup was still on medication for EC.

I'm sure your little furry will be fine - get the move sorted and then think of the time you have ahead to enjoy time with your buns.

If you wasn't a good 'bun mum' you wouldn't be worried!!

Best wishes :wave: xx

Back