• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit cut foot plz help!

lisas85

New Kit
:wave: Hi hope someone can help, my rabbit caught her nail on the carpet and it came right off :cry:. It was bleeding so i put flour on it to stop the blood flow. It has been stopped bleeding for about an hour now but is there anything else I should do? Do I need to take her to the vet? Thanks Lisa x:rabbit2:x

Hi there!
Sorry i cant be of much help - just bumping at this crazy hour of the morning to see if anyone is still awake to help out!

I presume of youve stopped the bleeding thats good....but not sure if bun would require pain relief or anything? sorry really dont know.

Could you phone an emergency vet to ask advice....you may just have to keep an eye on it....:?

Cloud did this in her carrier on the way to the vets once. I was taking her in for one of the free health checks over rabbit awareness week... only I could manage to go to the vets with a perfectly healthy pet and come out with an injured one. :roll::lol:

Getting to the point... It'll be fine. No pain relief needed. It would have hurt a bit when she done it but it shouldn't be hurting anymore than a slight stinging feeling if she accidentally bumps it now. Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to bleed again then use a cold damp cloth to wipe it clean and soothe it and then dab some more flour on it. It'll grow back before you know it. :)

Incidentally, if it doesn't stop bleeding, take her to a vet just to check she hasn't ripped the skin as well or anything. :wave:

Broken nails bleed a lot, but generally it is nothing serious or to worry about. Was it the dew claw by any chance? (thumb on front paw?)

It's great you have stopped the bleeding. There's not much else you can do tonight other than make sure bun stays calm and happy and keeps eating and pooping ok. It might be worth popping bun to a vet for a check up tomorrow but generally once the nail's gone there's not much to be done, but it's advisable just in case she's hurt her paw at the same time or pulled/twisted her foot. Are her nails very long? Might be worth getting your vet to trim the others whilst you are there. :)

p.s keep an eye on the wound over the next day or two for any signs of infection or inflammation that won't settle.

Last edited:
Thanks so much x

:wave: Hi thanks alot for your advice I was worrying about her as its never happined before. Fluffy seems alright just now she has been sitting getting petted most of the night wee sook lol am going to put her to bed and I will check on her in the morning thanks again Lisa x:rabbit2:x

Back