• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbits being neuterd 2moroU /DBugsys hasnt peed and wont drink anything help!

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
He went for his pre-op check up Thursday and the vet said everything was okay and that hes fine for the op.. The vet told me to take some food in for him... ive got to drop him off at 9 tommorow and the receptionist said i could pick him up by 3/4 clock... Im so so so nervous! I hope im doing the right thing? am i?

Last edited:
:wave: Males are quite a straighforward op - in and out in no time for surgery, they make a tiny incision in his testicles and remove the inner contents, he will be fine I am sure, yes your doing the right thing, is this so you can bond him to another bunny ? Edited to add, I made up a lunch for all my 3 all the favourites, flat leaf parsley is good and nice hay to nibble aswell.

I was nervous like you when Herbie was in for his op for his teeth out. You always doubt if you are doing the right thing.

I hope everything goes well and your wee man recovers quickly.

Just make sure the vet sends you away with some pain relief for him x

:wave: Males are quite a straighforward op - in and out in no time for surgery, they make a tiny incision in his testicles and remove the inner contents, he will be fine I am sure, yes your doing the right thing, is this so you can bond him to another bunny ? Edited to add, I made up a lunch for all my 3 all the favourites, flat leaf parsley is good and nice hay to nibble aswell.

:wave: Ye i want to get him a little girlfriend hehe :) Okay i will pack some hay too :) and i was thinking do i need 2 send his water bottle? attatch it to his pet carrier or something? what you think?

I was nervous like you when Herbie was in for his op for his teeth out. You always doubt if you are doing the right thing.

I hope everything goes well and your wee man recovers quickly.

Just make sure the vet sends you away with some pain relief for him x

Thanks :) what pain relief should they give him? What if they dont give him any and says he doesent need any :S? what do i do then

I completly relate to how worried you are! I was a nervous wreck when Jimby went in to be neutered and we had only had him 2 weeks, I was already so attached to him!! :love:
As Vicki said it is a pretty straight forward procedure when completed by a experienced bunny vet.
Make him a packed lunch of all his favorite things so he has lots of yummies to tempt him to eat again when he comes round.
Hopefully the receptionist will have told you, DO NOT FAST bunny tonight! He should eat right up until he goes under as bunnies are unable to vomit.
I would aso send him in with a blanket that he has at home and maybe his favorite toy as it will make him more relaxed if he has things that remind him of home.
Hope it goes well and he bounces back in a few days!

You are doing the right thing for him. He will soon be bouncing about. I make sure mine are kept warm until they are eating and acting well again, and they also like a bowl of water as they can be very thirsty.
Best wishes for your bun.

:wave: Ye i want to get him a little girlfriend hehe :) Okay i will pack some hay too :) and i was thinking do i need 2 send his water bottle? attatch it to his pet carrier or something? what you think?

I would although they should provide a bowl, all mine went with water bottles to be sure though. In his packed lunch maybe a couple of small pieces of cucumber aswell for hydration I packed some spring greens chopped, some herbs and a red grape cut in half. Yes a generous handful of hay at the far end of the carrier is good and some in a bag for them to feed aswell. It's deffo worth it if he is going to have a partner, how old is he? I asked them to ring me asap after surgery to confirm it was all OK - or ask them what time to ring you, I also asked to meet the vet first who was performing the surgery. I'm annoying like that :lol:

I would although they should provide a bowl, all mine went with water bottles to be sure though. In his packed lunch maybe a couple of small pieces of cucumber aswell for hydration I packed some spring greens chopped, some herbs and a red grape cut in half. Yes a generous handful of hay at the far end of the carrier is good and some in a bag for them to feed aswell. It's deffo worth it if he is going to have a partner, how old is he? I asked them to ring me asap after surgery to confirm it was all OK - or ask them what time to ring you, I also asked to meet the vet first who was performing the surgery. I'm annoying like that :lol:

Oh Vicki that is nothing compaired to how annoying I was! I was calling every 30 mins to check how he was doing! :lol:

I completly relate to how worried you are! I was a nervous wreck when Jimby went in to be neutered and we had only had him 2 weeks, I was already so attached to him!! :love:
As Vicki said it is a pretty straight forward procedure when completed by a experienced bunny vet.
Make him a packed lunch of all his favorite things so he has lots of yummies to tempt him to eat again when he comes round.
Hopefully the receptionist will have told you, DO NOT FAST bunny tonight! He should eat right up until he goes under as bunnies are unable to vomit.
I would aso send him in with a blanket that he has at home and maybe his favorite toy as it will make him more relaxed if he has things that remind him of home.
Hope it goes well and he bounces back in a few days!

Its really worryin =[ because if anything went wrong id feel terrrible!!!! He is 10 months old.. Yea the receptionist told me not to starve him because hes got to keep eating right through. Yea ill send a little blanket with him :) Ahh im such a worrier lol!

I would aso send him in with a blanket that he has at home and maybe his favorite toy as it will make him more relaxed if he has things that remind him of home.Hope it goes well and he bounces back in a few days!

:thumb: and lots of peace and quiet when he gets home but lay out a bunny buffet and put his hay in a basket or something next to his litter tray, to protect the wound, use old towels or puppy pads for him to lay on and keep him under observation for 24-48 hours but, try to return him to his routine asap if he is fine after 24 hours I think. Pain relief is sometimes administered at the vets and they will not send you home with some, mine don't specifically because they are very wary of metacam being given without their direct instructions, I didn't have a problem with the boys but, with my doe I did have to go back the next day for fluids etc and they prescribed some for her, I only had to give it to her once or twice though and she was fine. Best of luck xx

You are doing the right thing for him. He will soon be bouncing about. I make sure mine are kept warm until they are eating and acting well again, and they also like a bowl of water as they can be very thirsty.
Best wishes for your bun.

Yea i will be keeping him in a indoor cage nice and warm for a few days :) I will send his water bottle but perhaps they will give him a bowl too :)

Yea cucumber thats a good idea because their nice and watery.. :) Right i will do that ask them to phone after surgery to let me know hes okay.. :) how long does the actual op last?

:thumb: and lots of peace and quiet when he gets home but lay out a bunny buffet and put his hay in a basket or something next to his litter tray, to protect the wound, use old towels or puppy pads for him to lay on and keep him under observation for 24-48 hours but, try to return him to his routine asap if he is fine after 24 hours I think. Pain relief is sometimes administered at the vets and they will not send you home with some, mine don't specifically because they are very wary of metacam being given without their direct instructions, I didn't have a problem with the boys but, with my doe I did have to go back the next day for fluids etc and they prescribed some for her, I only had to give it to her once or twice though and she was fine. Best of luck xx

Okay i will use some towels :) and i will put a little basket of hay in the corner and a litter tray.. lots of temptin veg :):) ill put a bowl of water in for him just incase.. is that everything?

Its really worryin =[ because if anything went wrong id feel terrrible!!!! He is 10 months old.. Yea the receptionist told me not to starve him because hes got to keep eating right through. Yea ill send a little blanket with him :) Ahh im such a worrier lol!

Awww I think they are used to people who love their pets being worried, it is really the anathestic that is the major factor for him, having said that, things have moved on so much now so hopefully he will be fine, they sound like they know what they are doing, you are well within your rights to ask questions like how many rabbits do they do/have they done? What form of anathestic are they using etc - he is your pet and your paying for their expertise but, you are entitled to know the facts aswell so don't be frightened to ask any questions at all, be assertive, you are his voice and there is nothing wrong with doing that. Fingers crossed for a smooth op for him x

Yea cucumber thats a good idea because their nice and watery.. :) Right i will do that ask them to phone after surgery to let me know hes okay.. :) how long does the actual op last?

The op itself only takes a few minutes but the bunny may be asleep for a while after, depending on the type of anaesthetic used. He may be drowsy for 24 hours of so afterwards.
Good luck for tomorrow :wave:

Probably about 10-15 minutes after he is under, really not sure but, no more than half an hour I wouldn't of thought if that. Edited to add are they doing external or internal sutures on him?

Last edited:
Probably about 10-15 minutes after he is under, really not sure but, no more than half an hour I wouldn't of thought if that. Edited to add are they doing external or internal sutures on him?

Oh am not sure? they didnt say.. whats the difference?

Back