• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonding Injury - Bite

wally4eva

Mama Doe
Long story about bonding but to cut it short the two new bunnies caused some fights between Walnut and Bell resulting in Bell getting a bite on her lip.
We have washed it with warm water and she it is eating but it is a bit swollen.
Heres a picture
DSC06921.jpg

I don't think it needs a trip to the vets but is there anything I can do to help her at home??

I agree with Jane, especially as it is by her mouth (lots of bacteria could be introduced)

I would also keep the 2 pairs well away from each other (out of sight and out of smell) until you are ready to bond them on neutral territory.

Do you have any Metacam ?

You'll need to keep a VERY close eye on it as bites easily turn into abscesses.

No I don't have metacam.
What does an abscess look like??? How do I tell if its turns into one??

She is still eating and drinking.

Last edited:
I agree with Jane, especially as it is by her mouth (lots of bacteria could be introduced)

I would also keep the 2 pairs well away from each other (out of sight and out of smell) until you are ready to bond them on neutral territory.

So should I wash it every few hours??
We were told by the rescue to have their housing next to eachother:?

Sometimes it works for bunnies to be next to each other, other times it doesn't.

You definitely need to keep them away from each other.

I think maybe getting some Metacam from the vets would be a good idea. An abscess is an infection, so if you notie any signs of infection you need to see a vet ASAP (red, hot, oozing, etc).

I would suggest bathing with saline or cooled boiled water three times a day if you don't get anti bios from the vets.

So should I wash it every few hours??
We were told by the rescue to have their housing next to eachother:?

Some people like to bond this way but I find it very stressful for the bunnies and it really does not give you an accurate idea of how they will react to each other once they are allowed to interact without barriers.

I prefer to keep bunnies apart until I am ready to bond and then go for it on completely neutral territory. I then neutralise their accommodation whilst they are bonding.

At the moment, your garden is Bell and Walnut's territory and, from their point of view, there are now 2 strange rabbits in it! Hence Walnut's referred aggression!

Some people like to bond this way but I find it very stressful for the bunnies and it really does not give you an accurate idea of how they will react to each other once they are allowed to interact without barriers.

I prefer to keep bunnies apart until I am ready to bond and then go for it on completely neutral territory. I then neutralise their accommodation whilst they are bonding.

At the moment, your garden is Bell and Walnut's territory and, from their point of view, there are now 2 strange rabbits in it! Hence Walnut's referred aggression!

Ok, I had a feeling that was the wrong way to go about it. I will go and seperate them now.
Thank you for the advice.

And about the abcess, what do I need to do to prevent it??

Last edited:
Sometimes it works for bunnies to be next to each other, other times it doesn't.

You definitely need to keep them away from each other.

I think maybe getting some Metacam from the vets would be a good idea. An abscess is an infection, so if you notie any signs of infection you need to see a vet ASAP (red, hot, oozing, etc).

I would suggest bathing with saline or cooled boiled water three times a day if you don't get anti bios from the vets.

Thank you.

Ok, I had a feeling that was the wrong way to go about it. I will go and seperate them now.
Thank you for the advice.

And about the abcess, what do I need to do to prevent it and how do I tell if it turns into one??

As Sky-O has said, an abscess is an infection. Symptoms would include: swelling, oozing, hot to touch, smell etc.

Keep it clean with cooled boiled water or, if you have any, some well diluted hibiscrub :wave:

As Sky-O has said, an abscess is an infection. Symptoms would include: swelling, oozing, hot to touch, smell etc.

Keep it clean with cooled boiled water or, if you have any, some well diluted hibiscrub :wave:

Oh sorry I didn't see that.
Thank you.
I've washed it with cooled boiled water and the swelling has gone down. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

You can get vet grade manuka but if you want to buy some from a supermarket, then Aldi are doing manuka at the moment for £4.99 a pot.

Ok, thank you. Hopefully she won't need it but would it be ok to put it near her mouth???

It's only honey so she'll probably try and lick it off. Won't do her any harm but I'd do it sparingly.

Our vet has had good results with manuka. High in antibacterial properties. Hopefully your bunny won't need it.

For Manuka honey, the higher the number the better, and I believe anything under 15 is not considered good enough.

Back