• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

scent glad gloop

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so I dont know what I am really asking...
Cookie is now very good with her potty training, but on the towel she tends to sleep on there appears to be quite a few patches of what looks like urine staining, but could this be where she is marking it?

What colour and consistency is it?

It would be uncommon for secretions from the scent glands to leave gloop on a towel, but certainly possible if have gotten infected. Have a look at her glands to see the contents...a brown 'apple pip' is ideal, but creamy pus-like discharge is indicative of a mild infection.

Alternatively it could be wee...chalky yellow wee can mean a build up of calcium, and weeing in unusual places can mean a urinary tract infection

Photo0025.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

They look like caecotroph stains to me :?. Some buns pull them out and drop them before eating them - no idea why. Poppy does this sometimes as her fur is very long and fluffy and it's just a little habit she has.

They could equally be urine stains, some buns don't empty fully and have a little dribble afterwards, rather like us ladies needing to pat ourselves dry! ;)

She could equally be marking her territory, or she could have a little incontinency post-spay perhaps?

Ok so probably nothing to worry about, we will try and have a look but she is a real fidget :roll: how do we find her scent glands?! :shock:

Ok we had to result to trancing her as she would not ahve any of our attempts to pick her up to see.
From what we can see she looks fairly clean down there, her tummy (spay scar) seems to be healing up nicely. Her scent glands look fairly clean there is very minimal gloop there, but when I went to clean it she flipped herself over and ran away.

Scent gland!

Hi,

One of the reason's i have joined is because i have noticed (what can only be described as farley hard creamy puss) by the genitles of my female bunny - after reading about the scent gland im assuming that it is this but by the sounds of it, it could be infected - she is a potty trained rabbit and is very clean and gets checked all the time to make sure she is clean to avoid flys etc - i have tried cleaning this white/cream stuff but it is very difficult to remove!

Does any one know what else i could use or should i be worried and take her to the vets?

Back