• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Puzzler - overweight but bony??

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I met a colleague's rabbit today and from a visual check she looks quite overweight - big rolls of dewlap, big squashy belly etc (NB - this is not the bun I posted about the other day) She can't reach her bottom so has to have it cleaned regularly.

BUT when I feel her back, she feels totally emaciated - her vertebrae are like knives poking up :shock: I've never felt anything like it, if she was like that all over I would be rushing her to the vet.

She's about 4 and I'm not sure if she's spayed or not. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause this, that I could mention to my colleague prior to her getting checked out.

My colleague has had her from a baby though - so unless she's outright lying, which I don't think she would, then her age is fairly certain.

When you mention that those attributes are characteristics of an older doe, are they just "something that happens with age", or are caused by a specific age related illness?

I did wonder about a tumour....I need to find out if she's spayed.

thanks everyone

Is it possibler she has had her longer but not realised? Time passes so quickly so they may have thought they had had her for 4 years but it could be more like 6 or 7, maybe?

That's a possibility - she is on holiday at the moment but I will check with her when she gets back. She does *look* old - she's meant to be black but has that "singed" look to her fur than elderly black animals get.

She's had her gooey eye flushed a few times recently as well so I would have thoguht the vet would have mentioned how weirdly built she is - btu apparently not.

I have found that even very emaciated bunnies can have a big squishy belly - if their gut is full, it will feel round even if the rest of her has no muscle cover. It's not the best place to tell how under/overweight a bunny is in my probably not so humble opinion! A round belly is often more prominent if the diet is poor, because they can get that full 'doughy' feel around the belly if there's not enough fibre in the diet.

It could conceivably be that the dewlap is hormonal and her belly is full but there is another problem meaning she isn't absorbing the nutrient from her food, assuming that she is being fed adequate amounts. What sort of bunny is she and how much does she weigh?

Protruding spine in an otherwise well fed rabbit always says tumour or liver disease to me first. I think finding out if she is spayed is going to be crucial, follwed by some bloods and a thorough examination.

I have found that even very emaciated bunnies can have a big squishy belly - if their gut is full, it will feel round even if the rest of her has no muscle cover. It's not the best place to tell how under/overweight a bunny is in my probably not so humble opinion! A round belly is often more prominent if the diet is poor, because they can get that full 'doughy' feel around the belly if there's not enough fibre in the diet.

It could conceivably be that the dewlap is hormonal and her belly is full but there is another problem meaning she isn't absorbing the nutrient from her food, assuming that she is being fed adequate amounts. What sort of bunny is she and how much does she weigh?

She's a sort of small lop thing - bought from a petting corner at a farm so prob a mixed breed. I haven't got a weight for her at the moment but will add it to my list :)

She's on grass all day so should get a decent amount of fibre. My colleague mentioned she was overweight a few months ago so I told her to stop feeding bread and apples (yes, I know!) so that's something...

Last edited:
If she isn't old, then it's got to a an illness of some sort...my kidney failure bun was very skinny, but I don't necessarily think it's organ failure...just about any disease presents as weight loss.

The dewlap and big belly will probably just be loose skin.

Back