• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dissapointed with my hay!

Becca24

Mama Doe
I went to a pet food wholesale type shop today to try and get some nice stalky hay at a good price!

Fizz will be coming next week and I cant really afford to continue to just feed Oxbow Timothy hay and oat hay as will cost quite a bit each week for the both of them.

They had some hay that was nice and stalky and looked quite green at a good price, but when I got it home and opened it it didnt have that sweet smell and felt a bit damp and I could see condensation on the inside of the bag which I didnt notice when I was in there! It wasnt expensive so its not that its a waste of money just dissapointed that it wasnt good as would be handy to be able to get it from there! :(

Fizz is a great hay eater. she doesn't need fussy or expensive hay. Baled hay is great for her and she chucks loads down her throat.

:wave:

I went to Barnard Bros and got it there! Fizz is a little star, being a good girl and eating her hay! :) Pip is just a fuss-pot although he is better now to be fair!

:wave:

I went to Barnard Bros and got it there! Fizz is a little star, being a good girl and eating her hay! :) Pip is just a fuss-pot although he is better now to be fair!

Hmm, that's where I would recommend. I wonder if their bags don't see as quickly as their bales. They can deliver bales, maybe that's worth a try? Hopefully fizz will teach Pip how to eat hay.

Hmm, that's where I would recommend. I wonder if their bags don't see as quickly as their bales. They can deliver bales, maybe that's worth a try? Hopefully fizz will teach Pip how to eat hay.

How do your store your hay, I currently store mine in a pillow case and a bag from the hay experts but a bale isnt going to fit in either them, this has been my concern over having a bale, where to put it?? :?

I mean the bag I got from barnard bros looked good and like I said was nice and stalky so I dont know whether the warm weather made it go funny as it was in a sealed plastic and normally would be ok.

How much is a bale delivered?

25kg of hay is £6.50 I think. I store it in a duvet cover, or in storage boxes away from bright sunlight (you may have seen those in my proch) but I can get away with that because we go through hay so quickly. Potentially you could block off a bit of your shed and have a bale there. Or even encorporate it into the design.

25kg of hay is £6.50 I think. I store it in a duvet cover, or in storage boxes away from bright sunlight (you may have seen those in my proch) but I can get away with that because we go through hay so quickly. Potentially you could block off a bit of your shed and have a bale there. Or even encorporate it into the design.

I prob could get a duvet cover for it, do you think it would be ok stored in the garage? there are no cars in there now? Also, as I wouldnt get through it as quick as you will it keep ok for longer periods of time?

I prob could get a duvet cover for it, do you think it would be ok stored in the garage? there are no cars in there now? Also, as I wouldnt get through it as quick as you will it keep ok for longer periods of time?

I buy a bale of hay from Jolleys - £8.50 or so. It's great and the rabbits love it - for sleeping in, eating and to line their litter tray - there's even enough to give them a great big pile for tunneling in - Lola has made herself a nest in it with a tunnel out the side - very impressive - clever girl!! You get so much adn it's sooo cheap for what you get, you don't mine throwing it around them! Of course, mine are outside! :)

Back