• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on neuter plz..

Hucklebunny

Young Bun
Hi... i am planning to have my frenchy boy neutered soon, he is 16 weeks old.

I just wondered if neuturing will prevent him from growing to his full potential.

He is my house bunny and has a pretty little girl waiting to be bonded with :love:

Thanks in advance x x

It won't stop him growing but it'll stop him spraying you with wee (hopefully) and getting aggressive!

My Pyeman was done at 3months ish and nothing stops him being naughty and tearing round the place and he has a wifey bun as a partner in crime!

@Nicola: did you really get your boy neutered when he was 9 weeks? Had his bits dropped then? I am a bit worried that my bun's parts won't be ready yet, but if yours dropped so early then I guess it's possible for his to do so too.

It won't affect his growth in the slightest. :wave:

@Nicola: did you really get your boy neutered when he was 9 weeks? Had his bits dropped then? I am a bit worried that my bun's parts won't be ready yet, but if yours dropped so early then I guess it's possible for his to do so too.

It really depends on your bun, I think average is around 10-20 weeks but they can drop from as early as seven weeks. Do you know what they look like? Here is a good picture of testicles, few will be as obvious as this though http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexingboys.shtml

If they haven't appeared by 5 months I'd take him to the vet for a checkup - occasionally they don't drop naturally and may need vet intervention. This is unlikely but worth knowing. :wave:

Has your girl been done too? Bear in mind that boys are still fertile for up to six weeks after their neuter, and it's better for them both to be done in terms of hormones. Spaying will also prevent female cancers which are very very common. Good luck with the bonding!

Yes, my other rabbit was about 15 weeks old when he was done though, and I got Castiel when he was a year old and had him neutered then so not sure when he will have been ready. As Coineanach says, it really depends on your rabbit, and also on your vet and whether your vet is happy to neuter a younger rabbit. I personally think it's better on a younger rabbit, as Harvey and Zero sprang back after their neuter whereas Castiel recovered more slowly. But that's just my opinion :)

ETA: Just keep checking him. When his testicles are 'there' he's ready. Zero was a master at sucking his up when we got him to the vets, so they wouldn't neuter him straight away, but I think all young male rabbits can suck them up :lol:

Last edited:
Yoshi's are there, but the vet said she would like to wait until he is a little bit older - so I guess we're going to have to wait! We're going in on Saturday for his second vaccination so we'll see if the vet will have anything different to say to us or not.

Back