• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home - rubbish

scoobylou

Young Bun
I have 3 rabbits all from pets at home store, the first is a year old now Dash is a male & originally was suppose to be a Netherland Dwarf we wanted a small rabbit since he was going to be in a flat. However he is a half-breed Rex & Netherland which isn't much a problem but he is still much bigger than what he is suppose to be.

We recently got 2 new baby rabbits from them Lou & Lucy, we wanted a female for Dash so we went in & so an adorable sandy white one (Lucy) & we were going to take her home but she had an abscess so they kept her so she could be treated. So we decided to get another one instead, however I wanted the original so much that we picked her up aswell so we had 2 females.

We went to the vets with the 2 girls today because we thought the one with an abscess (Lucy) had another one but actually it was a penis! The 2 girls are both guys, the major problem is that Lucy was in pets at home store for 3 weeks having treatment for an abscess & either the vet is rubbish or the woman who works there & was treating her is so thick that they couldn't tell he was a guy.

Do you think that we could get them to pay for getting them neutered, since we weren't sure on getting the girls done maybe one so that they can bond with Dash but we need to get both done now otherwise we are going to have loads of problems with them.

Sorry this is a major rant but it has seriously upset me, I really wanted a female rabbit & have 3 males is a little upsetting, they both have female names & I don't know what to do with them.

Last edited:
:? I can imagine how your feeling and I suppose this is going to be how much you love your rabbits you have - if you are willing to take them back to an unknown fate then they will exchange them I'm sure, in terms of getting them neutered, yes I think you have a good case for them paying for that, although they may insist you use their vets. Bucks that are bonded and neutered together can still maintain a bond so it's not unheard of to have bucks living together, not sure how many members have 3 bucks to be honest. I think what's happened is unfortunate for you and the rabbits but, not the end of the world, it's bad practice on the part of PAH but, sadly this is not unusual in terms of pets shops which is what they are albeit on a bigger scale.

:? I can imagine how your feeling and I suppose this is going to be how much you love your rabbits you have - if you are willing to take them back to an unknown fate then they will exchange them I'm sure, in terms of getting them neutered, yes I think you have a good case for them paying for that, although they may insist you use their vets. Bucks that are bonded and neutered together can still maintain a bond so it's not unheard of to have bucks living together, not sure how many members have 3 bucks to be honest. I think what's happened is unfortunate for you and the rabbits but, not the end of the world, it's bad practice on the part of PAH but, sadly this is not unusual in terms of pets shops which is what they are albeit on a bigger scale.

Nursecroft has her three bucks and a doe. :thumb:

I would never take them back, its just hard to get used to them being male. It's just hard that not one but both of them are male, they both look female & its just strange. Anyone know a name that sounds like Lucy, I need to change his name lol.

Lucky? He is lucky to be out of that shop.

If they all get neutered as soon as they are old enough, you may be able to bond them. But it's not guaranteed that it'll work out. If you end up with one single rabbit again, you will have to get a friend for him, too. I would recommend going to a rescue and get a neutered female then. They might be able to help you with the bonding, too. :)

Lucky is quite a good name actually, I just have to convince the boyfriend because he wants to pretend that there both still females & keep the names lol.

I like Lucky - I think the one that is a year old really would potentially be a risk to bond with the two younger males, I would personally think about adopting a neutered doe for him when he is neutered and hormones settled etc With the two young bucks I would keep them together even as far as going into the vets together for neutering and maintaining the bond. You may still have a skirmish or two as they mature but, maybe not if they are kept together from such an early age and neutered asap. Update with how you get one with PAH they do give vouchers for neutering anyway I believe so you shouldn't have to pay for the babies just the older one.

The older rabbit is already neutered got him done 2 weeks ago, I expect us to get a female rabbit at some point because we want one a lot but it won't be for a long while. We are students & having 3 rabbits in a rented student house is pretty difficult at the moment, but hopefully when we get our own place next year we will most definitely get a girl.
I just hope the older rabbit isn't too lonely until then.

The older rabbit is already neutered got him done 2 weeks ago, I expect us to get a female rabbit at some point because we want one a lot but it won't be for a long while. We are students & having 3 rabbits in a rented student house is pretty difficult at the moment, but hopefully when we get our own place next year we will most definitely get a girl.
I just hope the older rabbit isn't too lonely until then.

Awww as long as he gets plenty of fuss and attention and exercise/toys/good hay and food he will cope I am sure, at least you have a sensible plan in place which is better than throwing caution to the wind, I am sorry that it worked out for you as it has, it's a bit unfair on you. I am sure your little bucks will be as loving as a female anyway, bucks are generally if treated well more affectionate sometimes than doe's who can be more independant, all buns are different but, bucks are fab buns too - any chance of some pics?

What about Brucey?! :lol: That's an awesome name!

I'd go into your local P@H branch and explain what's happened to them and ask if they'd be willing to pay the neutering bill. If they say no, write to head office to 'express your concerns about the staff's inability to sex the livestock' or something along those lines. They may still say no, I bet they have some kind of clause in their license that states they aren't responsible for mis-sexed pets.

On the plus side - buck neutering is much cheaper than doe neutering.

It is possible to bond bucks too. I have a trio consisting of a 4/5 year old conti buck and a not even one year old lopX buck along with a doe. My two bucks, Thistle and Brian, have the strongest bond out of any of my rabbits, even though they are such an odd pair in terms of size and age. I'd say get neutering sorted out and have a go at bonding them into a trio, if it doesn't work out, then at least you will have tried. :wave:

There's really nothing wrong with having a girlie sounding name for a boy. It doesn't matter to the bunny.

I'm sorry Pets At Home were not reliable- unfortunately, this is the experience most of us have with them because they don't, generally, have enough training.

I like Lucky - I think the one that is a year old really would potentially be a risk to bond with the two younger males, I would personally think about adopting a neutered doe for him when he is neutered and hormones settled etc With the two young bucks I would keep them together even as far as going into the vets together for neutering and maintaining the bond. You may still have a skirmish or two as they mature but, maybe not if they are kept together from such an early age and neutered asap. Update with how you get one with PAH they do give vouchers for neutering anyway I believe so you shouldn't have to pay for the babies just the older one.

Great advice

Oh dear. I'm sorry about your experience with P@H. Maybe the name Luke or Lukey sounds most like Lucy? I hope you can bond them all together. Good Luck x :wave:

If he's a bit cheeky you could call him Lucifer:D. Lou is also a boy's name.:D I had two bucks who were inseperable. I did get them both neutered together. :D

Nursecroft has her three bucks and a doe. :thumb:

Ive bonded three bucks and a doe and so have others here, i dont really think it makes a big difference in a group, depends on the buns :wave: If you are desperate to keep them then you have nothing to lose by having a go once they are settled after neutering.

i'm sorry for the hassle you've had about your bunnies. glad you love them, though.

there are times when 'lucifer' seems like a good name for a bun!

Lucy & Lou together
DSC_0166.jpg

Lou & the older one Dash
DSC_0095.jpg

Lucy
DSC_0165.jpg

I really like Lucky but the boyfriend wants to call him Buster hahaha, he will get so confused. We're going to go in on Monday to P&H & complain hopefully get them to pay for the neutering. Lucy particularly I always thought looked like a girl he has the most pretty eye lashes.

Back