• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best wood to build run?

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
well i was thinking of building a massive run for my three and was wondering which wood is best to use also what do you use to cover it??

thanks in advance
Ash&crystal

I would say for a good strong one if you are attaching it to a shed or playhouse go for weather treated 2x2. I cover mine with taupaulin.

I make my runs by making lots of panels like aviary panels and then screw them together to form the run. For this you want to use some wood approx 46mm x 19mm. If you're going to build a frame rather than panels you should use 46mm x 46mm. Remember to put the mesh on the inside so they can't chew the wood. Find your local timber merchant and you should be able to get the wood quite cheap if you go for just the "sawn" stuff.

My Dad seems to collect bit of wood (I thinks its a dad thing)? I just raided his collection and made a whole hutch and run out of it. It was mostly pine and other odds and sodds. If I were you I would just raid a Dads garage :D

Back