• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Death of Betty

Aquakaty

New Kit
We found one of our bunnies dead in the hutch this (Friday) evening. She was a French Lop and just 2 1/2 years old. She'd been neutered and lived with her brother Earl (also neutered). They were checked by the vet in May when they had their Myxi jabs and appeared fine and well. They've been in an outdoor run during the day for the past few days (with a sheltered area) and haven't had free access to the garden since Sunday (so unlikely to be any plant that she shouldn't have eaten). Our garden is fully enclosed and they, therefore, have no access to other wildlife. Betty was fine (her normal grumpy self!) when she was fed this morning and it's not been too hot today (certainly much cooler than recent temperatures).

There's no evidence of anything on her body (no blood, mucus, sweating, etc). She was just laid out on her side when we found her.

It's not a great time to be arranging a PM for her and I'm really worried about Earl in case it's VHD (which I've only learnt about this evening whilst searching the net).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sorry to hear about poor Betty. I'm afraid I don't know anything about VHD, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you.

I too am sorry about Betty.

Are they vaccinated against VHD? Are you in the UK?

Was anything different about her in the days running up to her?

How is Earl? VHD has a very quick incubation period so within about 3 days you would know if it was.

Have you considered having a post mortem done on her?

In response to Sky-O:
Are they vaccinated against VHD? - No, I only found out about it today
Are you in the UK? - Yes
Was anything different about her in the days running up to her? - No
How is Earl? - He seems fine, just a looks a bit lost and upset
Have you considered having a post mortem done on her? - Yes, but I guess the weekend is not the best time to be arranging it and if we did find out it was VHD, would we be able to do anything for Earl??

So sorry to hear about Betty.
I had a PM done on a rabbit that I suspected died of VHD and it came back inconclusive, so that was a waste of money!
As Sky-O said VHD has a 3 day incubation and I'm sorry but there is nothing you can do for Earl at this stage. If he is still with you after the 3 days I would recommend you get him vaccinated asap to put your mind at rest.
Sorry I can't be more positive for you. My thoughts are with you for Betty and fingers crossed for Earl. xx

im really sorry :cry::cry::cry: if its VHD you will know by now my vet said 12 hours is as quick as it kills after incubation, so your other bunny would probably be dead already if they had caught VHD.

as she was a larger breed it could of been the heart :(

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about betty...
More often than not there is obvious signs of Vhd, such as blood from nose/mouth, ive heard its quite rare for there to be no signs of the infection at all, is your vet rabbit savvy as he should of offered the vhd when you went in for the myxi (they have to be 2 weeks apart now but still really should of offered it)

xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( A few months ago my Frenchie, Teddy died of what we think was a heart attack! :cry: I didn't get a pm done (as I wouldn't have got him back) but Giants are known for their weak hearts. ...unfortunately you were an unlucky one. :(

Best wishes for Earl. Hope he's still happy!

Back