• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck Tommorow and Bonding Advice Please

wally4eva

Mama Doe
I can't wait:D
Tommorow morning 10am a lady from RSPCA Middlesex is coming to have a look. :D

If we pass (fingers crossed) we will be hoping to adopt these two lovely bunnies and bond them with Walnut and Bell to make a foursome.:D
rasputin-tunes-1-300x225.jpg

:love:
So I would like some advice from people who have bonded foursomes:
I've got a few questions
What size cage would be best to bond 4??
Do I just put them into the space and be ready with gloves and water spray or seperate the space and have them live on either side of the wire for a few days??
And just any other tips would be great:D Thank you very much in advance:D

P.S. Sorry if this should be in the bonding section.. I tried to do two threads in one:p

I'm currently bonding a four, well rebonding. I use Trixie run panels and start off with four which gives a space of 2 and a half feet by 2 and a half feet, then gradually add in panels. I didn't start with a litter tray, I just had a plastic sheet, then a towel, then hay. I have a tray in now because they've settled down quite quickly.

I don't think having them side by side helps. I think it just frustrates them because they have their own territory. I just set up the pen in a neutral room, put them in and watch them intervening only when a fight breaks out. Chasing and furpulling is normal. Taking them for a drive in a small space also helps as they are forced to sit together and they are stressed just enough not to fight.

My bonding thread -> http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237555

Last edited:
I am currently bonding 4 also.
I had a trio and a single rabbit. When i was ready to start the bonding I used a dog crate to take them out for a drive. Left them in the crate for a while. Used the run panels to slightly extend the space. I just used newspaper and hay. No litter trays etc. I thought i had bonded them... until i moved them outside !!!
So I had to start again.... now about 6 days in again and it is working better this time.
Bonding a bigger group is harder and it takes a bit longer, but it is worth the work..

Thank you both:D
Well I've had the home check and she said it was great:D I am going to visit them tommorow:D

She said the best way to bond is to take it slowly, to have the two new ones in the old hutch and run inside the aviary run so they can sniff eachother, then to swap them round a few times so the new ones are in the shed and Walnut and Bell in the hutch to get used to eachothers smell and after that try putting them together. Does that sound like a good method???

Yes that method of bonding also works. It is just a slower way of doing it. I bonded my first trio that way because i had to wait for neuterings etc.
My other trio i just went straight in with it and it was much quicker.
I did a bit of both methods on my pair and it worked ok.
I am currently bonding a 4 which i went straight in with again. Obviously bonding 4 takes a bit more effort though.

So do whatever you feel comfortable with and i hope it all goes ok for you :)

Yes that method of bonding also works. It is just a slower way of doing it. I bonded my first trio that way because i had to wait for neuterings etc.
My other trio i just went straight in with it and it was much quicker.
I did a bit of both methods on my pair and it worked ok.
I am currently bonding a 4 which i went straight in with again. Obviously bonding 4 takes a bit more effort though.

So do whatever you feel comfortable with and i hope it all goes ok for you :)

Thank you:D
I think I might start slow and see how it goes from there because this is my first time bonding.. eeekk. Fingers crossed it will go ok:) Thanks again:D

Picking them up tommorow at 11.30am.... can't wait:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Here is a pic of the temprary set up.
DSC06800.jpg

The new buns will be in the hutch and run, they will never be closed in the hutch and will have 24/7 access to the run (I know everything is to small, but its all we have and its temporary... I still feel bad:() Also they will be able to have some time in the aviary run when I shut Walnut and Bell in the shed, so it should be ok.:D

Walnut and Bell say they don't like the new set up because it takes away some valuable binky space!! They are now in a strop with me:lol:

Lucky rabbits with all that space. Cant wait to see the photos later of the two new rabbits. Hope it all goes ok today :)

Back