• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you fill and wash your rabbit bottles?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I do all my cleaning outside but as i no longer have an outdoor tap at this house, i use my kitchen sink without the bowl in to wash my bunny's bottles and fill them.

Is this unhygenic? In my books it says to wash bottles in the bath and fill them.

What does everyone else do?

I don't have a problem with the way i do it, i bleach the bowl after. Does anyone else use the kitchen sink?

Thanks
Ambience x

If they just need filling, I do it outside. I bring them in and use the kitchen or bathroom sink though when I need to properly clean them. I used to have a bottle brush, but that got lost somehow so now I just use rice :roll::lol:

I read this in rabbits for dummies that it is important to clean in the bath not the sink - but i think that if you are keeping your bunnies stuff clean daily, then it shouldn't really ever be dirty as such. I do use a bucket for there bowls though as they tend to get them filthy:)

Thanks for all the replies, that's really nice to know i'm not the only one and that it is okay to do it this way.

Ambience xx

I wash everything up in the sink - sometimes I do them after washing up our stuff, other times I'll do the buns' stuff first.

I use the kitchen tap to fill the water bowl up again, adding a splash of hot water from the kettle (I've even been known to drink from the bunny bowl to make sure the water isn't too hot for them :oops:) ...... and I'm still alive to tell the tale. ;)

kitchen sink...I don't even take the bowl out, it never occurred to me...then again the buns regularly lick my face and snatch food from my mouth so i think if i was going to get any horrific diseases from them I'd get them that way!

I use a large dog bowl and it gets washed out at any sink. Old stuff flushed down the loo, rinse and then I put it back before refilling with a jug. It's really heavy when full!

kitchens sink :D
or neighbours outdoor tap when they're not in :lol::lol: (we dont have an outdoor tap)
naughty naughty! We once caught our old neighbour filling up his paddling pool from our outside tap, my mum was ranting and raving about theft and trespassing and all sorts. Nearly wrote him a bill :lol:

I fill my rabbit water and chicken water up with the outside tap, but when it's time to wash them I soak them in hot water in the kitchen. I also wash my mice wheels, bottles and plastic bits in the kitchen sink so it's probably pretty disgusting germ wise.

My buns bottles are emptied, rinsed out and filled from the kitchen sink twice a day morning and nightime and always have been as is my dogs and their bowls are washed in there aswell, obviously in fresh water from doing my own dishes etc and always rinsed well with clean cold water, I don't need detergents on the buns or dogs because they are washed thoroughly in cold water daily. I just disinfect my sink daily as normal as part of my normal cleaning routine, not because I've rinsed their stuff out though. I would be wary about an outside tap that didn't have an isolation valve on it to ensure it was just fresh water no backflow and I can't imagine going upstairs to wash their stuff out in a sink that I would wash my face and brush my teeth in :?

I use the dishwasher to wash all the buns bowls, kitchen sink to fill up their water.

I actually often use my normal food bowls to give them their veg in.

Back