• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy's poorly (bloaty again) U/D Back to his greedy self

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
.....and I've just discovered Harcourt-Brown's don't do all emergency cover.....If he goes to vet this evening it will be a different one ... I don't even know where they are, I'll need to look them up.

My boy was fine at 12.30 when I left him. My mum visited him at 3.30 and he was fine.

At 7.00 pm he was shaking and not eating, very scared as he is when he gets bloat episodes. I've chased him round. I'm putting vet trip on hold as I'm really thrown and don't want him with anyone but Frances :cry::cry::cry: I had no idea they split cover with another surgery :cry::cry:

I'm taking Roo for a car ride now if he hasn't perked up after the chasing.

(The other vet is a lot dearer as well, something I hadn't calculated for, and Roo isn't insured for this!)

I'm going back to a scared bunny now :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh no I'm so sorry, hope he perks up. If he's insured it should cover an emergency vet, I have to use a different one out of hours and Pet Plan have never questioned any of my claims x

Oh no I'm so sorry, hope he perks up. If he's insured it should cover an emergency vet, I have to use a different one out of hours and Pet Plan have never questioned any of my claims x

No, I mean the bloat thing is a pre-existing condition. There's no way it will be covered. :cry::cry: I'm presuming though that if he gets really serious that they will be able to consult with Frances it would be a damn shame to not do if they are covering her patient.:?

oh no :( sending lots of 'perky' vibes for Rudy x

THank you. He's calmer now and snuggled up to Tinks

I want to take him for a car ride but I think Tink needs to come with us as she's being so good with him.

The begger of it all is I drove to H-B's after work to collect some Metacam for Artie, if I'd gone straight home I would have found him earlier and might have been able to get him in at H-B's before they shut :censored::censored::censored:

I'm so sorry, I know how much of a worry it is and there's nothing anyone can say to make it better :( I really hope the drugs you already have make him perk up soon xxx

Oh no, I'm sorry hun :(

Millions of vibes for little Rudy, I hope he starts to feel better and that if you do need to go to the other vets they'll be really good ... or get his auntie Frances on the phone asap!

Fingers crossed for you. xx

Poor Rudy. :( Sending him lots of vibes (& lots of vibes for your purse too :shock:)

Hows he doing? I hope he has improved a bit.

Nope. I just rang vet again and when I explained I was travelling 20 miles she said I'd be best ringing my local vets as they are no more rabbit experts than my local vets.:evil: Bit embarrassing in the circumstances. So, I've rung emergency number for local vets and I'm told that it's Ian on call - he's my first choice after Frances and Ruth so I feel so much better for knowing that.

I feel stupid for taking my bunnies elsewhere to be in this situation now. Anyhow, live and learn and all that.

Seeing vet at 9.40.

I'll report back :)

Good luck. Its good that that particular vet is someone you know though.

Well, it gave me a sense of calm for 40 minutes anyway.... A different vet turned up :roll::lol::lol: Anyhows, said vet was Oliver, also a good rabbit vet. In the past he gave Art a very thorough once-over and was very considerate of Tinks' temperament when he vaccinated her in the past. So happy with the vet that turned up but I'd have been mortified if it had been X or Y when I had committed myself to a call out fee expecting to see a good rabbit vet :?

Anyhows... Rudy was panicky and breathing very quickly which the vet found the most concerning symptom but I said it was probably more a personality thing than a medical symptom. No sign of blockage, he didn't like his abdominal area being palped but he wasn't full of gas or 'tight' as the vet described. Temperature low end of okay. Weight up from 2.8 to 3kg :shock:

He's had metacam injection and metaclopromide injection and back home for TLC (advised better from Tinks than myself!!).

All in all happy with the consultation, just need my boy to calm down and start eating now. Kipping on the sofa me thinks tonight :?

Thanks for all the vibes and concerns everybody. I'll keep you informed.

Last edited:
Poor little poppet :( Glad things went ok with your emergency vet.

Lots & lots of vibes for Rudy to be well again soon xxx

Well, about an hour after his jabs Rudy was behaving his normal bright and cheeky self - begging constantly. :D:D

It actually makes me question now the value of a 40 minute car journey followed by almost certainly admitting him away from his beloved Tinks. I was told last time he was admitted that he was doing the shaking thing and burying himself in hay for hours after admission. I think the admission causes him a massive amount of stress, as does the car journey. If I can convince myself that my local vets are proficient enough to give a thorough check before sending him home then this is probably the best route to take (unless he has loads of episodes of it then I think we might have to consider the exploratory surgery FHB suggested). They certainly got an A* based on last night's experience. It's over 5 months since his last episode so that's not too bad.

It's made me rethink a lot about where to get vaccinations done and all, I'm in turmoil :roll: My taking on 6 rabbits was based on my understanding that they would be admitted at a rabbit savvy practice in an emergency, so bit of a shock to the system. Just need to adjust my plans now. Very much on the plus side though, I trust local vets more in an emergency which is a fantastic feeling :love::love:

Back