• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone had this stasis experience?/ updated post 49

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I have had sooo many buns with stasis over the years but have never seen this before :?

Maggie has stopped eating this evening again. This has been a regular occurance for the past year or so. Usually it only lasts for half an hour to a couple of hours and usually she doesn't need any meds to come out of it.

A few weeks ago in the really hot weather she ended up being hospitalised twice in the same week with stasis. I asked for x-rays to be done etc this time but due to her age and other issues they said they would leave it for one more day before doing diagnositics. She was fine the next day and came home :)

I have noticed recently when these episodes occur she drinks a lot of water leading up to the episodes and also that she sits by the water bowl and has wet feet. It apears she is dipping them in :?

Just now I had the shock of my life, as she has climbed in the entire water bowl and just sitting in it :shock: Its a big bowl but thankfully there wasn't that much water in it as it is due to be refilled.

I have never seen a bun do this before. She has never suffered with high temperatures and hasn't felt hot this evening so don't think its that. Can anyone shed any light on it?

I have already spoken to the vet prior to the water bowl incident and she is booked in for tests in the morning plus I have the necessary meds to keep her comfortable this evening.

Last edited:
Smudge has gotten into his bowl before. Not related to stasis though. He would get in, then get out and look confused as to why his feet were wet.

I've had my two sit in odd places when they've been in stasis - somewhere they feel safe. But that is full on wierd :shock: Could she be confused from her poorliness and think she is sitting in her litter tray?

Almost every episode of stasis that Smartie had (especially the early ones , last year) was like this. He just sat with his front feet in the water bowl for hours / all day - looking very miserable and cold. I don't know why.

When I found out how to control the episodes and caught them earlier, this didn't happen. When it did happen, I either took the water bowl away and left him with a bottle or just a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the bowl.

In the end I had to cut out nearly everything from his diet except pellets, hay, grass and the odd dandelion leaf. The tiniest bit of apple, carrot, cabbage, etc would send him into stasis. This was a rabbit who lived outside for 9 years and was used to all kinds of fresh veg etc daily. When he became frail he lived inside.

The restricted diet and twice daily metaclopramide kept his guts going for 7 months. He was also a dental (molar spurs) bun with a calcified lung.

Almost every episode of stasis that Smartie had (especially the early ones , last year) was like this. He just sat with his front feet in the water bowl for hours / all day - looking very miserable and cold. I don't know why.

When I found out how to control the episodes and caught them earlier, this didn't happen. When it did happen, I either took the water bowl away and left him with a bottle or just a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the bowl.

In the end I had to cut out nearly everything from his diet except pellets, hay, grass and the odd dandelion leaf. The tiniest bit of apple, carrot, cabbage, etc would send him into stasis. This was a rabbit who lived outside for 9 years and was used to all kinds of fresh veg etc daily. When he became frail he lived inside.

The restricted diet and twice daily metaclopramide kept his guts going for 7 months. He was also a dental (molar spurs) bun with a calcified lung.

Thank you so much for sharing that, its really helpful :)

She has taken herself out now, but is soaked through as she is very long haired :(

I was wondering about kidneys, because renal cats often hang over water bowls, and if she was dehyrdrating it may cause the stasis. I suppose you would notice her peeing more though?

I don't have personal experience but I often read that buns lie in their water bowls when they're in pain - which would make sense now she's sitting in it, but not really for the feet - I can't see that foot pain would cause stasis :?

hope she's ok x

Maggie is now absolutely fine and eating normally, she never even had any medication :?

It is very strange, bet the vets wont find anything wrong with her now :?

You would think if it was pain that was causing the stasis and water thingy it wouldn't come and go so quickly without any medication. I just don't understand it

Maybe sitting in the water bowl helped with the pain of her gut.Like we would use a hot water bottle to help ease the pain she could be doing that to help ease any pain she's in. Just a thought.

Anyone had this stasis experience?

YES:cry:she is sitting in the water bowl as she has a fever:cry:she is trying to cool herself down:cry:I had this with some baby buns i had here many years ago they were suffering from Mucroid enteritis:shock:at the time the vet,s knew nothing about this condition so i had to do some research myself but out of the 3 babies only one (the smallest) survived:cry:hope this will help you:)
ShanX

YES:cry:she is sitting in the water bowl as she has a fever:cry:she is trying to cool herself down:cry:I had this with some baby buns i had here many years ago they were suffering from Mucroid enteritis:shock:at the time the vet,s knew nothing about this condition so i had to do some research myself but out of the 3 babies only one (the smallest) survived:cry:hope this will help you:)
ShanX

I am so sorry about your babies :cry::cry:

My first thought was a temperature but she didn't have one :?

She does have a lump on her head which I have ahd checked out twice but the vet is convinced it is a harmless cyst. I don't think they are related as the stasis episodes started well before the lump appeared, but will get it checked again.

I had a rabbit that would cool off by sitting in a litter tray of water on hot days. He wasn't a stasis bun though, or in any apparent pain.
Pain anywhere can cause stasis though xx

Back