• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations and antibiotics

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I seem to acquire increasing numbers of buns who need lifelong antibiotics. Until now I've vaccinated those who seem otherwise 'well' in themselves and not those who seemed to be struggling or under the weather (sorry, I know this criteria is a bit difficult to define :oops: ). But I'm still really not sure if I'm doing the right thing?

Any thoughts?

As you know we have been battling with this problem for a year or more now. Our myxi vaccs are due in August and I have counted up that out of 35 bunnies there is only 9 I consider well enough to vaccinate, it is a major worry :?

Thanks Liz, it's a bit of a dilemma isn't it?

I wonder if there are any specific medications which shouldn't be used alongside vaccinations?

I doubt that there are specific medications they can't be used alongside, as it is usually medications that work in a similar way that can't be used together.

My vet won't vaccinate animals that are on panacur, having a course of ivermectin or on antibiotics. They will vaccinate those on long term metacam depending on the reasons :)

That would probably be down to the healthy immune response that is needed, I would have thought though. Not down to drug interactions. I think it's a really good policy your vet has there.

That would probably be down to the healthy immune response that is needed, I would have thought though. Not down to drug interactions. I think it's a really good policy your vet has there.

Yes thats the reason. I don't think there are many drugs that would negatively interact with a vaccination, it is much more to do with the animals immune system :)

Back