• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Pen Ideas...Pics Please!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hi All :wave:

I'm not happy with the pen for Biscuit. It just doesn't feel right so i want to try and do something better for him.

Unfortunately, Budget is very limited :( Will have to save for a few months to get relevante funds together - saving for a wedding at the same time :)

I know a lot of you have dog crates with the doors open all the time on the front and a pen attached but i'd like to see some pictures for inspiration.

I currently have a 4 ft hutch (no main door, removed) with a 6x2.5x2 (length x width x height in feet) pen attached (impulse buy :roll:) from Pets @ Home.

I will re-use the P@H pen to bunny proof the living room as i'm looking at letting him free-range in the living room 24/7 - as at the moment, he only free-ranges between 6pm and midnight whilst the OH or me are there to supervise him.

Give me inspiration guys and gals!!

Make this a pic heavy thread so i can really get this right for him and in the future his wifeybun.

Thanks in advance to you all! :D

P.S please don't suggest DIY - i'm an IT engineer, shocking at making things:lol::lol::lol:

This is our dog crate. We've changed it slightly and have an extra ramp on the outside and we are going to make a shelf without a hole and take out the ramp on the inside soon.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226875
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230429

I don't have a pen attached as my room is bunnyproofed.

I also had this...

When first made...
_IGP6271_CONV-vi.jpg

More recently...
Photo0225-vi.jpg

Basically that is storage cubes that you can get on Ebay or Amazon with a base of wood, lino and then battens round the edge. The door was a bit tricky.

That looks awesome! You guys on here are brilliant!

I'll save those pictures to my desktop portfolio for this new project :)

Thanks !

It's not actually long enough really. It's 5 by 2.5 feet. I can't fit longer in cos of the slope of the stairs. Soon they will all hopefully be in my room with the crate.

my cage

P80200312.jpg

its made from two pens connected to make a large open space area, its only 24" high so to allow them to have a carrier to jump on a added part of a roof using storage cubes. i have netting for the rest but havent needed to cover the cage since Pearl died Alvin and Holly are too lazy to plan the big escape :lol::lol:

it measures approx 4 ft x 8 ft when closed and they are only locked in between 8am and 6pm when i am at work. very lightweight for travel :D

i love it and size can be adjusted easily to suit the space

We have had several cages.

At the moment (have added an additional little level for the buns since this photo). The buns have the bottom level.
021-8.jpg

This is when they first moved in so I hadn't put any furniture in yet.
014-2.jpg

This was the previous cage. It was a pen wrapped around a table (with the guinea pig cages sitting on top). The new cage provides much more mobility as it is on wheels.

003-2-1.jpg

This gives an idea of how much space they have to play in. You can also see the black grids to the left that are used to block off the area around my bed.

003-3.jpg

An old set up. It didn't last very long. Was wayy to messy. It included a base with a pen.
Pen -
116-1.jpg

This was the base;
020.jpg

It was then extended to this (but as I say, this whole setup didn't last long);
254.jpg

Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Some wonderful setups you all have!:D

I'm gradually getting ideas here, thanks to all of you so far, its been a brilliant response. I know there are other threads with some of these in and i did search them, but wanted something all in one place that i could steal ideas from ! (well, borrow...!) just wanted to say that, so people didnt think i was lazy! :lol::lol:

now my crate doesnt have bunnys in it, it as a full sized cat though :lol:

the crate is 107cm long and cost me around £50 :wave:
if i was going to stop fostering and bring my bunnys indoors, I would buy some nic cubes and put them all along the walls and block off under my bed aswell. but the whole reason im putting photos up is because the dog crate is cheap :wave:
it has 2 doors and a removable hard plastic tray
egsi0h.jpg

23hoytv.jpg

244xt94.jpg

2s9u33a.jpg

34o7sr9.jpg

im really happy with the crate, it als folds up flat :)

ETA: forgot the website durrh! Dog Crate

Last edited:
This is my current setup:

photo.jpg

Note that this photo was taken on Saturday morning before the bunnies arrived and messed it up! I have another pen on order that will attach to the cage's front door and go into the living room. It's shorter than the other one, so I'll still be able to see the telly but I hope they won't be able to jump out!

GeorgeyPudding: Which size crate is that? Extra Large (£49.50 on that site)? Thinking this may be a good idea similar to what other people have suggested. :D

LizzyJM: with regards to bunnys jumping out - my little one has just managed to learn that if he jumps and pushes hard enough, he can do a spiderbun impression up his cage and manage to get onto the sofa just outside his pen and escape - aslong as theres nothing they can grab onto, i'd assume you'd be okay - but can't promise anything - they always find a way to get into trouble :lol::lol::lol:

I used to have this set up when i lived in my flat.
It's a 48" dog crate i got off ebay.. ones with plastic trays are better as they arent slippery or noisey.. metal ones are... i then added a 8 panel play pen that i also got off ebay, i removed one of the connectors and cable tied it to the sides of the dog crate so that they had a big area to play in. I did peg a bed sheet over to begin with as i was worried they would jump out but they never did so i removed it.
newpen3.jpg

In my house now they have the whole spare room so i dont use any of it anymore ;)

GeorgeyPudding: Which size crate is that? Extra Large (£49.50 on that site)? Thinking this may be a good idea similar to what other people have suggested. :D

LizzyJM: with regards to bunnys jumping out - my little one has just managed to learn that if he jumps and pushes hard enough, he can do a spiderbun impression up his cage and manage to get onto the sofa just outside his pen and escape - aslong as theres nothing they can grab onto, i'd assume you'd be okay - but can't promise anything - they always find a way to get into trouble :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah it is :) i think it's free postage? and it came the next day (well i missed it by 30 mins ) even though i ordered around 3/4pm :)

Where can i get these storage cubes from? B&Q seem to sell them, but not very many for £30, seems very expensive.

I see people say you find them on amazon, but what are their actual names, so i know what to look for?

Back