• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

From roaming rabbits to being in a hutch??

JoLB

Warren Scout
My rabbits are house-rabbits. So they have the hallway (about 12' x 8'), the bathroom, kitchen (and my bedroom when I am home).

When we move, they have to go outside. So I have been looking at hutches and runs etc.

My problem is, will it affect them, from going from loads of room all day, everyday, to being in a hutch most of the time? Will they be unhappy?

Also, husband will not let me get a massive shed or hutch. He's already said the minimum size is "too big" :roll:

Could you have a shed and run combo?

I think it really depends on the bunnies as to whether it will affect them. I suspect they may be more affected by things other than space (like flooring, human interaction, stuff like that).

ETA- we posted at the same time. What size are you looking to get?

I think you would need to get far bigger than the minimum recommended hutch size. I know that Louie would go mad if he were confined to a hutch after having loads of space :(

I def won't be allowed that. I would let them out, but obviously only when I am home.

The only other thing will be to rehome them. Oh my god I didn't expect this when we got them. We weren't expecting to move home.

It's so hard arghhhhhh

Do you think, secretly he's saying its too big because of the price? or is he genuinely worried rabbit house will take over the whole garden ;)

I saw a picture earlier of someone's hutch which was against the back corner wall of the house, but the run attachment went around the side of the house, like in an 'L' shape - that was a good space saving layout but still offering bunnies nice amount of room.

Unfortunately that hutch is too small :(

The covered area is far too small for bunnies, especially ones who are used to being indoors.

When are you moving? You are going to have to take the temperature into account.

Well, they're going into boarding soon (end July/beginning August), so they will be going out in the summer, at least.

Do you think, secretly he's saying its too big because of the price? or is he genuinely worried rabbit house will take over the whole garden ;)

I saw a picture earlier of someone's hutch which was against the back corner wall of the house, but the run attachment went around the side of the house, like in an 'L' shape - that was a good space saving layout but still offering bunnies nice amount of room.

No he didn't even look at the price. And it would be me paying anyway, which is fine - my buns, I pay.

Unfortunately that hutch is too small :(

The covered area is far too small for bunnies, especially ones who are used to being indoors.

When are you moving? You are going to have to take the temperature into account.

I have that hutch for my 2 bunnies with an attached run. which i use during the day as well The upstairs is ideal for 2 bunnies .There is a partition in the upper bit but i took this out. to make more room .I think this is a good set up .Mine also get free range time as well .

Why have they got to go outside when you move?

I'm not allowed them in the new house. I think also because they have chewed the skirting boards, doors, carpets etc etc here. They have wrecked the flat and husband will not let them stay in the house.

We weren't expecting to move, not for quite a few years anyway, so it would've been fine if we were staying here.

I have that hutch for my 2 bunnies with an attached run. which i use during the day as well The upstairs is ideal for 2 bunnies .There is a partition in the upper bit but i took this out. to make more room .I think this is a good set up .Mine also get free range time as well .

That sounds good, I would let them out too, when I am home and on fox-watch. I just feel so sad for them that they're used to being out, then having less room.

I want there to be a shed, then I can put them in there! And if it's already there, husband can't moan.

No he didn't even look at the price. And it would be me paying anyway, which is fine - my buns, I pay.

If they are your bunnies and your money, why are you letting your husband dictate to you? I would turf the husband out before the pets if that was his attitude.

I'm not allowed them in the new house. I think also because they have chewed the skirting boards, doors, carpets etc etc here. They have wrecked the flat and husband will not let them stay in the house.

We weren't expecting to move, not for quite a few years anyway, so it would've been fine if we were staying here.

Well, I personally think that the minimum space they should have is a shed with a large permanently attached run as they are used to a lot of space at the present time.

Alternatively, why not rabbit proof a room in your new house? You could fence everything off by putting puppy panels around the room so they couldn't get to the skirting boards and laminating the floor :D

I am thinking maybe a shed is probably the way to go. Argh I don't know.

Maybe I will just cross bridges as I come to them.

Wish me luck everyone!

I love my buns, I don't want them to go anywhere!

Back