PDA

View Full Version : From roaming rabbits to being in a hutch??

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:30 PM
My rabbits are house-rabbits. So they have the hallway (about 12' x 8'), the bathroom, kitchen (and my bedroom when I am home).

When we move, they have to go outside. So I have been looking at hutches and runs etc.

My problem is, will it affect them, from going from loads of room all day, everyday, to being in a hutch most of the time? Will they be unhappy?

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Also, husband will not let me get a massive shed or hutch. He's already said the minimum size is "too big" :roll:

Sky-O
22-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Could you have a shed and run combo?

I think it really depends on the bunnies as to whether it will affect them. I suspect they may be more affected by things other than space (like flooring, human interaction, stuff like that).

ETA- we posted at the same time. What size are you looking to get?

Jack's-Jane
22-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Could you rehome the hubby :?

Buuny_Friend
22-07-2010, 10:34 PM

:lol:

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:36 PM
lol couple people have said that!

I was thinking this:

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/natura-delux-6ft-x-3ft-x-4ft-rabbit-hutch-and-run-combo-tr62332.html

and it's what husband said was too big.

*lily*
22-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I think you would need to get far bigger than the minimum recommended hutch size. I know that Louie would go mad if he were confined to a hutch after having loads of space :(

Buuny_Friend
22-07-2010, 10:38 PM
lol couple people have said that!

I was thinking this:

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/natura-delux-6ft-x-3ft-x-4ft-rabbit-hutch-and-run-combo-tr62332.html

and it's what husband said was too big.

Unfortunately that hutch is too small :(

The covered area is far too small for bunnies, especially ones who are used to being indoors.

When are you moving? You are going to have to take the temperature into account.

*lily*
22-07-2010, 10:39 PM
How come you can't keep them as houserabbits when you move?

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I def won't be allowed that. I would let them out, but obviously only when I am home.

The only other thing will be to rehome them. Oh my god I didn't expect this when we got them. We weren't expecting to move home.

It's so hard arghhhhhh

Loxxy
22-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Do you think, secretly he's saying its too big because of the price? or is he genuinely worried rabbit house will take over the whole garden ;)

I saw a picture earlier of someone's hutch which was against the back corner wall of the house, but the run attachment went around the side of the house, like in an 'L' shape - that was a good space saving layout but still offering bunnies nice amount of room.

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:40 PM

The covered area is far too small for bunnies, especially ones who are used to being indoors.

When are you moving? You are going to have to take the temperature into account.

Well, they're going into boarding soon (end July/beginning August), so they will be going out in the summer, at least.

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Do you think, secretly he's saying its too big because of the price? or is he genuinely worried rabbit house will take over the whole garden ;)

I saw a picture earlier of someone's hutch which was against the back corner wall of the house, but the run attachment went around the side of the house, like in an 'L' shape - that was a good space saving layout but still offering bunnies nice amount of room.

No he didn't even look at the price. And it would be me paying anyway, which is fine - my buns, I pay.

*lily*
22-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Why have they got to go outside when you move?

mollyjoker
22-07-2010, 10:47 PM

I have that hutch for my 2 bunnies with an attached run. which i use during the day as well The upstairs is ideal for 2 bunnies .There is a partition in the upper bit but i took this out. to make more room .I think this is a good set up .Mine also get free range time as well .

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Why have they got to go outside when you move?

I'm not allowed them in the new house. I think also because they have chewed the skirting boards, doors, carpets etc etc here. They have wrecked the flat and husband will not let them stay in the house.

We weren't expecting to move, not for quite a few years anyway, so it would've been fine if we were staying here.

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I have that hutch for my 2 bunnies with an attached run. which i use during the day as well The upstairs is ideal for 2 bunnies .There is a partition in the upper bit but i took this out. to make more room .I think this is a good set up .Mine also get free range time as well .

That sounds good, I would let them out too, when I am home and on fox-watch. I just feel so sad for them that they're used to being out, then having less room.

I want there to be a shed, then I can put them in there! And if it's already there, husband can't moan.

fluffiebunnie
22-07-2010, 10:51 PM
No he didn't even look at the price. And it would be me paying anyway, which is fine - my buns, I pay.

If they are your bunnies and your money, why are you letting your husband dictate to you? I would turf the husband out before the pets if that was his attitude.

*lily*
22-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm not allowed them in the new house. I think also because they have chewed the skirting boards, doors, carpets etc etc here. They have wrecked the flat and husband will not let them stay in the house.

We weren't expecting to move, not for quite a few years anyway, so it would've been fine if we were staying here.

Well, I personally think that the minimum space they should have is a shed with a large permanently attached run as they are used to a lot of space at the present time.

Alternatively, why not rabbit proof a room in your new house? You could fence everything off by putting puppy panels around the room so they couldn't get to the skirting boards and laminating the floor :D

JoLB
22-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I am thinking maybe a shed is probably the way to go. Argh I don't know.

Maybe I will just cross bridges as I come to them.

Wish me luck everyone!

I love my buns, I don't want them to go anywhere!

angeleyes
22-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I have seen that hutch in the 'flesh' and for 2 big buns like yours to spend most of their time in i really don't think its suitable, would you add an additional run? Its only 6ft long in total, the hutch should be at least that size.

JoLB
22-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I think I am erring towards a shed. That way, I can get away with it being bigger, I think!

Husband is tired at the moment, so tonight probably isn't the best time to ask him.

I'm going to look at sheds again...!

*lily*
22-07-2010, 11:17 PM
But if he says the minimum hutch size is too big what will he think of a shed? :?

I'd still go with bunny proofing a room in your new house, will be cheaper than a shed and run too ;)

JoLB
22-07-2010, 11:33 PM
But if he says the minimum hutch size is too big what will he think of a shed? :?

I'd still go with bunny proofing a room in your new house, will be cheaper than a shed and run too ;)

Yeh I know, maybe I wouldn't get away with that!

I just showed him the hutch I am possibly getting (I am buying it now, for when they go into boarding, then I can take it to the new house too). He asked how big it is, and I said 6'. And he just said "oh".

Then he said "will they be able to run around when they are in boarding?" So he does care! lol.

I won't mention the run I'll get yet.....lol

Bavarian Bunny
22-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Are you going to rent or buy?

I have a shed for my pair, and a hutch and run combo for my trio. I am thinking about getting either another shed or a playhouse for the trio at some point. It is just so much nicer to be able to walk into the accommodation and sit with the bunnies. And it's easier to clean out, too. They are safe from foxes at night, and if they thump, the neighbours won't hear it so much.

Becca24
22-07-2010, 11:38 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Put him in a 6x2x2 and aks him if its too big!

Bavarian Bunny
22-07-2010, 11:39 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Put him in a 6x2x2 and aks him if its too big!

:lol::lol:

How big is his television??

Loxxy
22-07-2010, 11:55 PM
:lol::lol:

How big is his television??

:p

Bavarian Bunny
23-07-2010, 12:00 AM
:p

Loxxy is adorable by the way!! Looks like a long eared version of my Cloud. But I guess he (she?) will grow into those ears. :)

Loxxy
23-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Loxxy is adorable by the way!! Looks like a long eared version of my Cloud. But I guess he (she?) will grow into those ears. :)

And you should see her feet :shock: she needs to grow into both!!! She is actually part French Lop/part Kangaroo!!!

JoLB - "oh" is a fairly positive response - work it!!!!

Rhian33
23-07-2010, 08:10 AM
By the way? Do you have a box room with a single bed ini your new house? If so suggest to the OH that he can have that and you the rest of the house as that's exactly what he's doing with the buns. I'm sure he'll change his tune then.

My OH wouldn't dare tell me I need smaller accommodation for my animals, he can see that they need it when we let the buns out and they race round the garden like loons for the first 10 minutes.

happypreso
23-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I have four bunnies that all live together in a shed and then have free run of the garden from around 6/7am until approx 10pm at night.

We went on holiday in May and my MIL looked after then and she didn't want to let them have free run, so we added a couple of runs to the shed for that week and I have to say they hated it! Dont ask me how I knew, but when we returned and I 'freed' them again they were so grateful, sounds silly I know but from their behaviour I knew they had hated being 'locked up' so to speak.

So I think your bunnies would miss the freedom they have at the mo.

Wendy

Deelove
23-07-2010, 10:23 AM
What about a playhouse?

My buns have a 4X4 playhouse and it really doesn't look that big. You can add shelves inside it for more space and use the roof cavity for storage, then you just need an attached run. :)

paulinejoe
23-07-2010, 10:59 AM
What about this hutch/run? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-5-x-2ft-5-Rabbit-Hutch-6ft-x-4ft-Run-/310235925675?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item483b808cab

I've got it and it's great. My two had to go outside after we moved too and I was gutted and was so worried about how they would adapt but they actually seem happier and more active and stimulated now than when they were indoors, they binky about at dawn and dusk like rabbits do and have access to grass 24/7.

The way I got round getting such a massive hutch - and I know it may not seem massive to people with sheds or who have big gardens but we have a titchy garden, and i'm not exaggerating when i say that the 6x4 run takes up over 3/4 of the lawn - was by reminding him that the vet had said rabbits have the emotional intelligence of a 3 year old and that you wouldn't leave a 3 year old cooped up in a tiny little box all day and that sort of sunk in with him, he also pretends not to be fussed by them but i catch him lifting the run lid and tickling them and sneaking them treats when he thinks i'm not looking :lol:

if you can get a shed and run then that's great but if not then i'm sure they would be fine in the above :wave:

weeble
23-07-2010, 11:40 AM
My lot used to have 4-5 hours free range time a day at the old house and had a shed with run attached. Since we moved the garden isnt that rabbit proofable and Bella has issues if she goes any where Albert and Evie have been they only get a couple of hours a week.

I have bought them a new huge run however and increased the number of toys they have and they seem quite happy :D

Bavarian Bunny
23-07-2010, 02:13 PM
We have a lot of foxes in this area, so free ranging without supervision all day is not an option. I don't know where JLo is going to move to, but foxes are a danger almost everywhere, even if you have never seen one. So I still think a shed would be the safest option.

JoLB
24-07-2010, 11:34 PM
We have a lot of foxes in this area, so free ranging without supervision all day is not an option. I don't know where JLo is going to move to, but foxes are a danger almost everywhere, even if you have never seen one. So I still think a shed would be the safest option.

This is my worry. I hear them round here and I imagine they would be at the new place too.

They are going into boarding tomorrow, so the weather is good for them! I am sad though. I am buying the new hutch tomorrow, setting it up at the lady's house then I will take it with me to the new house!

I think I will get this for the time being:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/orchard-manor-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16038

and get a run too. In the new place hopefully they can have shed too!

Husband is away this weekend, I told him they are going into boarding tomorrow, and he said "oh, so I won't get to see them?". So he does care!! Maybe he was just in a mood the other day.