• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How well do boy rabbits get on together?

Toad

Warren Scout
I have see a pair of boy lop rabbits that I like. They have come from the same litter and get on really well (they are 10 weeks old). I was wondering what are the problems encountered with keeping two male rabbits together?

I would of course get them neutered when they are ready, but would all male rabbits fight eventually? or does it just depend on the rabbits? I would not want to create a situation that is detrimental to each of them....what are RU'ers opinions?:wave:

I honestly think it depends on the rabbit. I had two male rabbits together before. I'm not sure if they came from the same litter or not however my vet said they were around the same age and he was guessing that they were from the same litter. After they get neutered I would keep an eye on them to see how they react with each other.

Yup, it just depends on the rabbits.

I tend to think its far safer to keep baby boys separate when hormones reach, to avoid fights and then rebond back, but if you have a vet who neuters fast enough then maybe someone could risk keeping them together.

If they didn't rebond, what would happen?

Yup, it just depends on the rabbits.

I tend to think its far safer to keep baby boys separate when hormones reach, to avoid fights and then rebond back, but if you have a vet who neuters fast enough then maybe someone could risk keeping them together.

If they didn't rebond, what would happen?

This is my problem Sky-O. What if they didnt want to be friends later on down the line? I dont want to take on a pair of rabbits because I want them to have company, but they end up being separate in the end :(. I would feel bad taking one boy and not the other, as I really want my new rabbit to have company?

Have you tried going to a rescue and finding a pair of rabbits that are already spayed, neutered and bonded? That means you would then know exactly where you were with them and that they did have that bond.

I have bonded 3 unrelated boys and a doe, depends on the buns though :)

Awww your rabbits are gorgeous!!

I suppose it does depend on the rabbit, but you dont know the rabbit till you have got it home really! :lol:

I really miss having a rabbit and my local rescues rabbits are mainly reserved and the only ones left are a little bit tempremental. (Bigwig launched himself out of his poo box and the rescue lady when she went near him bearing his big teeth) :shock: I am not sure I am ready for extreme rabbit pet ownership just yet.

I keep phoning my local rescue centre, but the only pairs are reserved apart from a wildish pair that were found? But they actually look like wild rabbits, well I was told that because you couldnt see them as they were hiding (very scared of humans) :(

Last edited:
Are you in the UK?

Yes I live in Devon. Sort of on the border of Cornwall. There are lots of dogs and cat rescue centres around but not a huge amount for rabbits. Well, one that is localish and the others 50 mile + (I have an old car that I dont trust to go that far and come back in one piece):lol:

Does anyone know of any other rescue centres in this area?

There are a lot of rescues that rehome nationally and a bunnyrun may be able to be arranged to help get a pair of bunnies to you. maybe thats worth looking into?

Its where people get together as a team and organise moving bunnies (or anything atcually) from one locatoin to another. So say someone starts where the bunnies are and drives X amount of distance towards you and then someone meets them and the bunnies are handed over and drives Y amount of the distance to meet up with you who would do the last leg of the journey.

That kind of thing but with infinite variations.

Its where people get together as a team and organise moving bunnies (or anything atcually) from one locatoin to another. So say someone starts where the bunnies are and drives X amount of distance towards you and then someone meets them and the bunnies are handed over and drives Y amount of the distance to meet up with you who would do the last leg of the journey.

That kind of thing but with infinite variations.

What a good idea. Well I better get tinterneting and see what I can discover! :D Thanks for your help Sky-O :wave:

No problem. I think honeybunnies rehome nationally. looking for bunnies as close as possible is obviously ideal, so if you start as close as possible then that's probably better for the bunnies.

My boys are littermates, and love each other to bits. They have never, ever fought, just humped a lot before they were done! :oops:

Awww your rabbits are gorgeous!!

I suppose it does depend on the rabbit, but you dont know the rabbit till you have got it home really! :lol:

I really miss having a rabbit and my local rescues rabbits are mainly reserved and the only ones left are a little bit tempremental. (Bigwig launched himself out of his poo box and the rescue lady when she went near him bearing his big teeth) :shock: I am not sure I am ready for extreme rabbit pet ownership just yet.

I keep phoning my local rescue centre, but the only pairs are reserved apart from a wildish pair that were found? But they actually look like wild rabbits, well I was told that because you couldnt see them as they were hiding (very scared of humans) :(

Thankyou :D they are all rescues

Alot of rescues on here rehome nationally... starlights in essex and Honeybunnies in Leicester have some beautiful bunnies ;) we could organise a bunny run ;) Thats how I got Dreamer, he's from Honeybunnies :wave:

When I rescued Gasket and Tappet the lady thought Gasket was a girl, turned out to be a boy. So we got them both neutered together, and they stayed bonded. But Gasket was always the dominant bun and Tap, bless him, was very patient with the humping! But you could see they loved each other.

Back