• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue near Portsmouth

KatrinaT

Young Bun
Hello folks

Can anyone recommend a good rescue centre in the Portsmouth area ? I am thinking that it would be good to get Smartie a friend in September time and I would like to give a home to a rescue but I am concerned that I might not have enough experience (as I guess they may need more care ?). Also would they bond them as I am scared of the idea of fighting bunnies. Rolo and Smartie were always so loving to each other.

Thanks
Katrina

This shows all the rescue centres, maybe it might help http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

Some rescues need more care and can be higher maintenance, but generally the average rabbit just needs some understanding but is essentially, the same as any other bunny.

Good on you for wanting to help one who really needs help. I hope you find the perfect friend :)

There's Cat and Rabbit Rescue at Sidlesham. They have an open afternoon on Sundays when you can go and see the buns that are up for adoption. I volunteered there Christmas morning and they always have lots of needy buns. I think they use Elaine in Waterlooville to do their bonding (who used to run a rescue I helped out at).

There is also Blue Cross which I think is near Hedge End - but I could be wrong, although I have been there. And RSPCA at Stubbington too.

It's easier rehoming buns locally but I live in Havant and my last three rescue buns came from BARCS - so a very long way away.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've emailed Sue -hope to chat to her to find out more.

Oooh can you update on this or PM me please to let me know what you find out, I have been advised by my vets who work with Soton Rabbit Rescue that she is really lovely but, not sure what she does with regards bonding, re-homing etc so any info would be good, I will ask next week when I go for vacs if I can speak to the nurse who knows her, if mine bond alright I will have a couple of hutches hopefully she might be able to use.:wave:

Oooh can you update on this or PM me please to let me know what you find out, I have been advised by my vets who work with Soton Rabbit Rescue that she is really lovely but, not sure what she does with regards bonding, re-homing etc so any info would be good, I will ask next week when I go for vacs if I can speak to the nurse who knows her, if mine bond alright I will have a couple of hutches hopefully she might be able to use.:wave:

#Just so you know Sue doesn't neuter....so that will be something to bear in mine when you think about bonding :wave:

#Just so you know Sue doesn't neuter....so that will be something to bear in mine when you think about bonding :wave:

:wave: Hi thanks, I meant I didn't know if she actually did the bonding for people at all, my trio that I am going to attempt are all neutered already, if they don't work I might have to go and visit Sue, you use Alver don't you? There is a nurse in there that does a lot of work with Soton Rabbit Rescue, can't remember her name but, she looked after my Jingy when he was neutered and commented on what a lovely boy he was, she is mad about buns too :D

we had a lovely little lionhead x from sue...bandit.....he wasnt happy in other homes...stopped eating etc..sue warned me he had sticky bum probs despite dietary issues etc.
he wasnt neutered...when he saw the vet..his sticky bum probs were cos his huuuuuge plums were in the way:oops::lol:

hes been gone a year now...acute bloat....hes missed so badly.

shes lovely to talk to and knows ger stuff and the buns in her care.

Hiya Sue is lovely and has gorgeous bunnies ! She let me have a peak at some little ones only 7 days old - never seen such tiny perfect bunnies. Sue is looking after lots of holiday buns at the mo and I am away for a bit soon so I am going to touch base again with her in Sept. (Smartie is bouncing around happily and she is dominant so going to see how it goes, i.e. another dominant would not be a good combo).

Sue is absolutely fab and always has some gorgeous bunnies in :love: I really must pop down and see her when I can find some time :D

I think they use Elaine in Waterlooville to do their bonding (who used to run a rescue I helped out at).

You used to work with ASAP? Me too :shock: Small world :lol:

Yes, I cleaned out the buns on a Saturday for about a year but then my bills all went up so I had to take up paid work on a Saturday instead. I still see Elaine occasionally though to catch up with bunny gossip and buy some hay.

Have never met Sue but she sounds lovely too.

Back