• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogcrate for bonding

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone had any problems with bonding large groups (or anybun actually) in a dog crate? I'm scared they will fight and I won't be able to get them out quick enough. With 7 bunnies that could turn into a melee.

I have found a large dog crate near me on gumtree (with two doors) which is available so before committing wanted to check?

Another option I thought of was one of those indoor cages because the top comes right off. Might that work better?

Anyone had any problems with bonding large groups (or anybun actually) in a dog crate? I'm scared they will fight and I won't be able to get them out quick enough. With 7 bunnies that could turn into a melee.

I have found a large dog crate near me on gumtree (with two doors) which is available so before committing wanted to check?

Another option I thought of was one of those indoor cages because the top comes right off. Might that work better?

For bonds larger than a trio, I have used the base of a large indoor cage, taken the top off and used a puppy pen round the base OR penned off an area in the bathroom.

I am sure the dog crate I borrowed from the vets when honey was spayed had a door in the roof panel bit as well, so that might be handy for easy access too (although of course I could be wrong, it was a few years back now)!

I have run panels and intend to use those for general bonding, I was thinking more car journeys, to be honest.

Might carry on looking for an indoor cage for that then.

I used a dog crate with 2 doors one at the side one at the end and left the side door on only one latch so could get in quick. Im selling it actually shame you're not closer!

Right, thanks guys for all of that (nursecroft, I think it was your dog crate bonding I saw the pics of). I am too warey of not being able to get in and break up a fight if necessary so won't be getting this dog crate. I have, however, now found an indoor cage which hopefully should do the job nicely. It sounds just what I want.

I used a puppy pen when I bonded my group of 6 ..And I hope to make it a group off 8 soon ..the pen means youo can use a brush to separte fights without getting biting .Also its useful out in the garden to block of other areas if needed .I got the tallest one so they couldn't jump out it cost me about 40 but its been the best thing i have bought so far

Back