• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best of bunny intentions

Hessen

Banned
Have just found out that a guy at work (good guy) recently found an escaped domestic lop bun in the street outside his house about 6 months ago. He did put up some posters but nobody came to claim so got his old (small) hutch out of his garage and set up home for the bun.

He has now been given an unwanted bun by his sisters' friend (kids are bored of it...) so has put them together in the hutch.

So he has two does (according to his own checking), kept outdoors in a small hutch, with no hay, fed muesli style mix twice a day, neither have visited a vet, neither have been spayed and they keep fighting with each other to the state where one is drawing blood from the other...

I literally found out all the information about 30 minutes ago and haven't had a chance to talk to him as he had to go to a meeting.

I have to think where to start without bombarding him with info and advice. I think he'd be quite open to hearing it, he really is a nice guy, but I'm already the crazy bunny guy in the office and don't want to do it in a "having a go" kind of way.

Any ideas where to start?

Be nice, relaxed, smile. Be all 'I heard you fund a bunny and did a grea thing by taking it on when you couldn't find it's owner', so like just boost him up. Hopefully he will be open to a chat. Then just see where the conversation leads as to what you then suggest next.

If not, then like said, given him links to useful places. If he thinks he is in the right then he may not check them out. In which case, I would be happy to send you the adoption pack I give out to people adopting from the RSPCA because having it all written down and in your hand can make a huge difference sometimes.

Agree! :love:
Funny how peole get about being told info about pets!:roll:

If you guys talk often enough....you could ask how they doing....if he says they still fighting - then you can ask buns age & suggest hormones....and how spaying helps...

I would def. suggest he adds hay to their diet though....could you bring in a special hay pack treat for them? and say "try this....it keeps their teeth down" ...

Maybe if you know him enough - you can have lunch together?
He might know youre the bunny person to ask but didnt know how to ask...

Let us know how it goes....:love:

Be nice, relaxed, smile. Be all 'I heard you fund a bunny and did a grea thing by taking it on when you couldn't find it's owner', so like just boost him up. Hopefully he will be open to a chat. Then just see where the conversation leads as to what you then suggest next.

If not, then like said, given him links to useful places. If he thinks he is in the right then he may not check them out. In which case, I would be happy to send you the adoption pack I give out to people adopting from the RSPCA because having it all written down and in your hand can make a huge difference sometimes.

Sky-O......oooh just perfect! I was stumblling but wanted to try & help!:roll::lol::lol:

Definitely point him towards some useful info without putting on too much pressure at first - we were all new owners once and it must be alarming if someone comes and says "you're doing it all wrong, you must do this, that and the other or it's cruel".

When people I know get rabbits I always start my saying that I've had mine for a while so they can come and ask me if there's anything they want to know. That was it sounds helpful not bossy :) good luck

The flip side is that if he took them on on because it just sort of happened, he may actually want advice. Was it him who started telling you about them? If it was it might have been his way of giving you an opening for offering his advice.

I had a similar situation with a colleague once. I left alone to start off with as I didn't want to seem interfering, but once I mentioned bunnies and had a chat, she was really grateful and actually said she wished I had 'interfered' before.

Back