• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Do you have your bunnies microchipped and is it ‘worth’ it?

I’ve been wondering about it, even though mine are in a secure hutch, there’s high fencing, secure and locked back gates and they’re supervised when they are out in the run etc, you never know what may happen :?

Is it just an injection for a bunny and how much does it cost roughly?

One of mine is, one isn't. Billy was done at the rescue I got him from. I'll probably get Millie done at some point too. Even though I don't expect anything to happen to them you just never know do you.

Don't know about price but I've seen some RSPCA adoption centres offering free microchipping. They have like an open day and you just take your pet to be done. They probably want a donation.

I've had Toby Rabbit chipped & also had my previous rabbits chipped & would have any future buns chipped but ....... you can't be sure if your rabbit has been found that it will be checked for a microchip.

I did some research on this a few years ago, & found the SSPCA didn't scan rabbits & although the RSPCA was promoting microchipping for rabbits, they confirmed that chip checking wasn't always carried out by their staff or shelters. I was told that it was up to the individual shelters whether they made this part of their routine admittance procedures. Several other larger shelters also didn't scan in coming rabbits.

I know of small rabbit shelters & RSPCA fosters that took in stray rabbits which were never chip scanned.

Yes it is just an injection but the needle is quite large so it does sting a bit when it goes in. Some people prefer to have it done when bun is under a GA for something else. I've had both of mine done without a GA at a routine app, but my vet did apologise to my buns first before he gave it to them as like I say, it does sting when the needle goes in a bit, but then it's all over. Just like us getting a flu jab :)

Back