• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do fosterers cope?

weedug

Mama Doe
When your foster bun moves on?

I'm so sad. My first foster buns have left me today, and I'm missing them loads already :(.

I have a new foster bun in, but still miss the others :(

This is why I don't think I could ever foster, as much as I would love to be able to help out in such a big way!

Either that, or they would never leave... :lol:

xxx

that's why we stopped fostering for another rescue and became a sanctuary. We had ended up with lots of animal because they were unrehomable anyway.

Would love a sanctuary if I had more space.

Am thinking I would be better with buns that are needing a long term foster home (like forever :lol:). Love the fostering but hate when it's time for them to leave.

I'm just a big softy and obviously need to stop thinking of the foster buns as one of mine.

When you know they are going off to the right place and its going to be a great home and you have done all you could do for them and more it makes it easy, I find. Its quite bittersweet. The sweet is the part that makes you the fosterer because its thinking about what is best for the animal. The bitter is the selfish part, that makes us miss them. When everything has gone right its easy to push the bitter part aside because you know its absolutely right for the animal. Its when it goes wrong, or you are not comfortable with where they are going that the problems start.

i dont foster bunnys, i foster cats and my first one left on monday :( i miss him, and what i miss most is the routine :roll: even though i still have a foster cat here, they were seperate so im only doing one of everything.

Oh hun heres a hugggggggggggg for you it dont get easier hun I had a few tears when I got back to the car for fatty I have had him ages but I know he is going to be fine with you. I will see what I can do with Selena ((((((grrrrrrrrr I canny spell) and hey your going to be proud of me I only came home with her .Just spoke to hubby he asked if I was feeling ok.

Penny was in a rescue for her holidays so I had a hug with her so that helped

If you need to know anything about fatty give me a shout

We have failed on a number of occasions :oops:

But I try to remember that, if I keep hold of a foster bun, I take up the space of another that could come in.

When they go off to a new wonderful home and you get updates on them, it's wonderful! :love:

It is never easy, but I just tell myself from the start they are not my buns, I am just helping them until they find their forever home :) I haven't given in and kept any yet but I am sure one day I will! I have 3 extra buns here just now that I will have to part with soon and I will miss them but I know how expensive and how hard it is to care for a large number of animals and I don't want to be in that position again. I know the rabbits will be better off in a home where they will get more one to one care and attention and it means there is space to help another one so that makes it a little bit easier I guess.

I'm dreading either of my two foster buns leaving but at the same time I want it to happen as soon as possible - for their sake. I see them alone in their runs and I feel sad for them, they both need another bunny to snuggle and play with. I give them as much time and love as I can but I can't take the place of another bun and I know that if they leave me it will be because they're going somewhere better (for them). That's what you have to keep remembering and it gets you through :) There will always be another bun, or two, or three that needs your help and tlc :love:

I haven't let mine go yet he should be going back to his other foster mum in September where he would live in a conservatory so I know he will be happier there. My mum and dad have got very attached to him and have said how are they going to let him go. What helps me is knowing that he is going to go somewhere better than what I can offer him. :)

The first few times are really heartbreaking, but it does get a little easier as time goes on **she says** :lol: Im still trying to resist the thought of adopting little Pecan :oops: xXx

Its always difficult letting them go - I'm fostering a gorgeous pair of french lops who look like giant teddies and would love to keep them :love: When the foster buns go to their forever homes, knowing they are going to a nice homes where they will be well cared for helps, especially when you see them happy in their new home.

I often think of the pair of lovable troublemakers I adopted who were in a lovely foster home. I wonder what would have happened to them if it wasn't for the rescues and fosterers which helps when I have to say goodbye.

Hope you feel better soon :wave:

I can only say that it gets easier, usually, though you will occasionally take a dive into the 'failed fosters' club :lol:
I've fostered a variety of species over the last few years & have felt heart broken from time to time, some you just bond with more acutely.
I just look at it as lives saved as most of mine have needed to grow or have time to rehab & recover & there isn't shelter space for that.
Starting & keeping an album of fosters is a nice idea as then you have something to look back on for all your hard work & it will cheer you up if you're a bit down having just relinquished another.

Just done the evening feed, and it was so sad not to see their little faces :(.

I love the idea of the album. I have so many photos of them, it would be nice to keep a record of the buns that I foster, if I decide to keep it up.

no no no I am a sort of Failed one again I moved Fatty on but not to anyone moved him on to you heheheh .At the moment I am thinking no more myself for a wee while .As I know its going to be very hard to let the babies go .

Back