• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

REWS - scanning?

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
What does it mean when someone says a rabbit scans? I know it is to do with eyesight but it would be useful to know exactly what it means.

I have a nervous REW and I do worry about her eyesight as I know REWs can have issues. I just want to make sure I'm aware of the signs.

They look as if they were a bit drunk. :) Or an Indian dancer, they have similar head moves. The bunnies just do it more slowly.

I have two scanners, they are not REWs themselves, but some of their siblings are.

they sort of sway thier heads as they are trying to focus on something

Thanks for that. It must be heartbreaking to watch but I suppose they get about ok. Thankfully I don't think I've ever seen Waffle do that she must just be skittish by nature then and not have eyesight issues just stasis issues. :(

Its so weird the first time you see it. As others have said they just move their heads really slowly from one side to the other as if they are 'scanning' the horizon

Thanks for that. It must be heartbreaking to watch but I suppose they get about ok. Thankfully I don't think I've ever seen Waffle do that she must just be skittish by nature then and not have eyesight issues just stasis issues. :(

i thought Pearl looked beautiful when she did it :love::love::love:

Carlisle does this. Its wierd though because he never seems to struggle and always knows where things are even when hes in a new area of the garden. When I first noticed it I did panic and he is more skitish and shy than my others but he is fine in himself and has no trouble doing rabbit things. Its hard for me though because I just want to smooch and squish him and he wont let me anywhere near!

Back