• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sir Victor's Poo-Attn RU Poo Expert AKA thumps_

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Over recent weeks Sir Victor has started passing a few huge fecal's a day. He passes totally normal fecals/cecals but will pass about 4-5 odd fecals most days.

028-2.jpg

His fecals are dry and fibrous and there is never any mucus passed. He has a good hay/grass based diet and appears well within himself.

Any idea as to why he may be passing these large mishapped fecals ?

Hmm this is interesting, Jimby sometimes passes the large poops too along side his normal poops...

Definitely no fur in them Jane?:wave:

We get the odd few here from Poppy - I think there is a small section of indented colon that forms the individual droppings, I have often wondered if a temporary neuro mixed message changing peristaltic wave direction is responsible for this or temporary slow down? Poppy always seems to get them around moult time - and they don't contain fur either - but suspect the fur is inhibiting the normal motility.
I'm sure Judy knows the answer...... Come on Thumps! :D:wave::wave:

Lucy does this too! they make a lovely thud when they hit the woodfloor :roll:
(she refuses to be litter trained!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: OK whose tumbled that I assess Thumper's hydration by whether his poops float or sink in the loo? :lol::lol::lol:

Ooo Sir Victor's passed some caterpillar poops. I thought only Thumper did those!

I mainly agree with pretty lupin that fundamentally it's neurological, & indicates mild GI slow down but not to panic, it can be a temporary hiccough caused by many things - stress of moulting, & of course it's incredibly hot the mo. It's all the things which predispose to stasis.

If your bun is doing rapid shallow breathing they are feeling the heat - stressor. They'll dehydrate very easily, so maintaining hydration is important to keep the poops soft enough to pass easily. Obviously we keep them as cool as we can.
I hope that helps.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: OK whose tumbled that I assess Thumper's hydration by whether his poops float or sink in the loo? :lol::lol::lol:

Ooo Sir Victor's passed some caterpillar poops. I thought only Thumper did those!

I mainly agree with pretty lupin that fundamentally it's neurological, & indicates mild GI slow down but not to panic, it can be a temporary hiccough caused by many things - stress of moulting, & of course it's incredibly hot the mo. It's all the things which predispose to stasis.

If your bun is doing rapid shallow breathing they are feeling the heat - stressor. They'll dehydrate very easily, so maintaining hydration is important to keep the poops soft enough to pass easily. Obviously we keep them as cool as we can.
I hope that helps.

Thank you !! :wave:

I hope that helps.

hmm, what would you say about a bun who ALWAYS produces these odd shaped poops, well maybe not always but alot of the time :wave:

hmm, what would you say about a bun who ALWAYS produces these odd shaped poops, well maybe not always but alot of the time :wave:

That there is possibly something inherently off kilter neurologically concerning your bun's gut motility and the autonomic control of it perhaps? However, I don't have my bunny poo degree so we'd better wait for Professor Poo to confirm this or give us a more precise explanation! :D:lol::lol:

That there is possibly something inherently off kilter neurologically concerning your bun's gut motility and the autonomic control of it perhaps? However, I don't have my bunny poo degree so we'd better wait for Professor Poo to confirm this or give us a more precise explanation! :D:lol::lol:

hmm, yeh I've been a bit worried about his odd shaped poops, but he is happy in every other way, and does do the odd normal poop, but I do have to say they are lovely and golden :D

hmm, yeh I've been a bit worried about his odd shaped poops, but he is happy in every other way, and does do the odd normal poop, but I do have to say they are lovely and golden :D

I also sounds to me as if there is a poor nerve supply to the colon past the 1st. part. (The 1st part separates the fine particle nutrients & sends them to the caecum but leaves the fiber in the middle & straight out.) He's separating well -therefore... I wouldn't be thinking of drugs, more whether anything can be done with his diet to keep his colon "in tone". I'll ask my vet for you, we see her regularly for dentals.

I also sounds to me as if there is a poor nerve supply to the colon past the 1st. part. (The 1st part separates the fine particle nutrients & sends them to the caecum but leaves the fiber in the middle & straight out.) He's separating well -therefore... I wouldn't be thinking of drugs, more whether anything can be done with his diet to keep his colon "in tone". I'll ask my vet for you, we see her regularly for dentals.

aww thank you :D, I'm always keeping an eye on it, and some days they are more normal but more often than not he has the odd shaped poops,

Back