• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused over the sex of my rescue baby

Michelle_stt

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

Hope everyone and their bunnies are doing well :D

As you know I rescued a baby dutch bunny around 2 weeks ago now. (changed his name to Timmy from Jakey)

I was told he was a boy.

Edward has been neutered now. Went well :)

Bella is not ready yet. The vet has said he will check her again in 2months time.

As I thought I had 2 little boys. I didn't want them to fight so Timmy has been in the run on the grass and Edward and Bella have had the run of the garden.

Today I thought I would check to see what sex he is. Just randomly popped into my head.

His bits look like Bella's. I checked Edward, but does not look like his bits (well whats left).

The person who I rescued him off apparently has had rabbits all their life and told me he was a he.

Could he have got it wrong?

It is possible its a gender misidentity, but equally he may not look like a stereotypical male. How old is he now?

Are you letting your unspayed girl and freshly neutered boy play together?

Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Iv not reintroduced them back yet.

Edward seemed a bit down in the dumps so wanted him to have some time to get better. Iv got a run for Timmy and divided the garden into 2 sections for Bella and Edward.

Is it ok to re-introduce them or wait the 2months until Bella is spayed?

He will still be fertile for 6 week or so after his neuter, so its probably worth waiting until she has been spayed and is recovered, to be honest.

You're looking for a circle for a boy and a slit for a girl (things can 'pop out' for girls too). Maybe take him to the vets and see if they can tell?

Ok. Will go check again once they have had a play.

Timmy is due his first check at the vets next week. So will ask then :)

Thanks everyone :)

All bunny bits pop out. If it's a cylinder then he's a boy, if it has a slit then he's a girl. You have to push gently, but firmly. Sometimes boy's bits can look like a slit if you haven't pushed it out enough.

Some boys have a split penis, and so look like girls in that area until the testicles drop. (not that that'd be your problem as he would have been sexed as a girl.)

I was originally told I was getting 2 boys by the rescue I got Sergeant & Pepper from. I should think the lady who runs it is quite experienced as well. But it goes to show it's easy to get it wrong as when she took them to the vet to be neutered, it turned out one was a girl!

All bunny bits pop out. If it's a cylinder then he's a boy, if it has a slit then he's a girl. You have to push gently, but firmly. Sometimes boy's bits can look like a slit if you haven't pushed it out enough.

Teddy's Mummy is right, baby buns bits look like she's described above. Boy's don't tend to develop testicles and a proper willy (which looks like a lipstick when you pop it out) until they are a bit older.

Teddy's Mummy is right, baby buns bits look like she's described above. Boy's don't tend to develop testicles and a proper willy (which looks like a lipstick when you pop it out) until they are a bit older.

:shock: *puts lipstick, I was about to apply, down!!*

I sexed a 11 week old bunny yesturday for a friend, she wasnt sure had been told he was a buck, he definetely had a lipstick!! :lol: Ive never met such a cute little lop that is so hutch aggressive at that age, he's dinky with huge ears and came charging out of the sleeping area at us :lol: did make me laugh, they are scared of him so i went round to show them how to handle him, he was very good actually once you got him out of the hutch but crikey what an attitude for such a little bunny... he's going to have his op as soon as he's big enough :lol:

I sexed a 11 week old bunny yesturday for a friend, she wasnt sure had been told he was a buck, he definetely had a lipstick!! :lol: Ive never met such a cute little lop that is so hutch aggressive at that age, he's dinky with huge ears and came charging out of the sleeping area at us :lol: did make me laugh, they are scared of him so i went round to show them how to handle him, he was very good actually once you got him out of the hutch but crikey what an attitude for such a little bunny... he's going to have his op as soon as he's big enough :lol:

The babies I've seen have all had lipsticks too! (Oh darn...I'm going to have to call it that now! :lol:) I know that some boys have a slit penis.....not sure if that corrects itself ever, but they don't have any problems with it...just harder to sex.

Back