• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning a bunny unable to wash themselves

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
How can I clean handsome Eddie? He feels very greasy. I've seen him do his eyes, when propped up, but he can't do his body. :?

Any ideas

I would just groom him with a wide tooth comb and a slicker brush.

If you do it a couple of times a day it should help.

His ears will need checking as they are likely to get very waxy (and consequently itchy).

His bum, genitals and scent glands will need cleaning too. Does he get very mucky in that department ?

I would just groom him with a wide tooth comb and a slicker brush.

If you do it a couple of times a day it should help.

His ears will need checking as they are likely to get very waxy (and consequently itchy).

His bum, genitals and scent glands will need cleaning too. Does he get very mucky in that department ?

His bum is clean. He's managed to prop himself up so he can bend over and clean it without falling over! Clever boy!

Thanks for the heads up about the ears! I never thought of that!! :roll: Silly me. :oops:

I'll get brushing then. :D I never use brushes (I prefer to pluck), so will have to search for Ted's old brush! :oops:

How is he? Any word on back legs yet? Any prognosis? Last I read you were hoping he would regain use.....?:wave:

For the ears, you can ask your vet for an ear cleaning solution, mine is called Epi-Otic, it has salicylic (sp?) acid in which helps to dissolve the wax. Vinnie had one half ear and couldn't hold it down to get a good clean so we had to give her a hand.

As Jane said, a good brush will do his coat wonders. Vin was unable to wash parts of herself in the worst stages of her EC and we had some lovely grooming sessions. Great that he's managing to keep his own bum clean though!

If hes really dirty gently running a damp flannel over him before brushing can help.
Hope the gorgeous boy is doing ok xxxxxxx

Back