• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collars for Rabbits

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
I was just wanting to ask the opinion of other users about putting collars on bunnies. I let Domino wander around the backyard (I'm always out there with her) and I have a collar with a name tag and bell on it so that if she somehow escapes, if someone finds her, she will be able to come back to me :) She isnt worried about it at all :)

I love the idea! But I am SO paranoid about collars! none of mine have one on at the moment..
They all have one though..

What sort of collar do you use? like, a cat on with the elastic bit or a dog one?

At the moment I am using a puppy collar, but cat collars would probably be a safer option because they do allow them to pull free if they get tangled, but if I put an elastic one on her she could also get her feet tangled :shock: I think I will stick with a puppy collar because it is only on her for a limited time anyway :)

I'm not a fan of collars on rabbits. :oops:

I don't really see the need as, if free ranging, they should be in a secure garden with somebody watching - it sounds like this is what you're already doing, so her chances of escaping with you watching are minimal.

If you really want to use a collar though, do they do the quick release cat collars over there? They're the safest, imo, as the collar will snap open if it gets caught. :) Just to show you the kind I mean: http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/personalised-cat-collars.htm

If you are worried about identification on the off chance your bun gets lost, would you not think about microchipping?
I've had this done when my buns had their GA for desexing.
I'm aware of a few stranglings with collars & harnesses so have always been wary for buns.

Lucky would hate it as he doesnt like to be touched around there. As an indoor bun, it'd be pretty pointless for him too.

Sorry but i'd never put a collar on a rabbit, far too dangerous.

If you are concerned about protecting your rabbit then the safest options are a secure garden or run/enclosure and microchipping. :)

Sorry but i'd never put a collar on a rabbit, far too dangerous.

If you are concerned about protecting your rabbit then the safest options are a secure garden or run/enclosure and microchipping. :)

I agree with this.

I don't even like collars for cats, let alone rabbits - it is far too dangerous!

NO NO NO NO NO NEVER EVER put a collar on a rabbit. Rabbits will hate it and try to get it off, and when they scratch they could catch their back leg in it and possible do muscle damage or rip tendons. To a rabbit having something around its neck is un natural, the rabbit may think it's a predator. I think even considering putting a collar on a rabbit is cruel. I'd rather not have collars on my cats but they are essential.

I too would never subject any of my bunnies to a collar. (although Autumn is harness trained so does go on a harness occassionally out in the garden, but only with a 'lead' which means I'm always with him).

On another forum someone did use a collar on their bunny and it got caught and broke its neck trying to get free. Never forgot that. I don't ever want, again, to be responsible for the death of a bunny.

I just go with being vigilant and careful with mine.

I think it's a cute idea, and if my bunny did happen to escape it would be nice for someone to notice and return my bunny immediately. However as mentioned before the garden should be secure. I have had bunnys escape in the past though and this would have been a good idea, if the collar was rabbit-safe.

I don't know of any rabbit safe collars at the moment. I have to say the cat collars i use are quite safe, misty takes hers off all the time as they are quite easy to take off. This is the only kind of collar i would use, a quick release collar.

I personally wouldn't use a collar with my buns as i feel they may have a problem grooming that area and it may matt up etc. Also i imagine my buns i keep in groups may wonder what it is on each other and pull it off so it would be pretty pointless. I think also as someone mentioned before, it probably isn't particularly pleasant being a prey animal to have something around your neck. Cats been predators are slightly different in that respect.

I think it's personal choice if there are no safety issues for the buns, but i think a few people have pointed out, there may be issues with buns that you wouldn't get with cats or dogs. Nice idea though if it worked.

Ambience x

I wouldn't recommend a collar for your bun. Unlike a dog, which can pull very hard on a leash, a rabbit could break its more fragile neck if it tried to run and got pulled up by the leash. You're much better off using a harness, it fastens around the chest which is a much stronger part of the body and drastically reduces the chance of the bun hurting themselves.

As you will see the forum is pretty divided when it comes to leashes! You have to work with what you have and not everyone has access to a secure garden. I'd really recommend removing the collar though as they aren't suitable for buns. :wave:

not a collar fan here neither.

Even ralph doesnt have a collar on at home, some dogs have them on 24/7 :shock::shock:

my moms cat once came home with her collar around her neck and one of her legs :cry::cry::cry: we never used them again for cats, Ste's moms cat has horrific scars from when he was left in a flat and the collar nearly amputated his front leg. :cry::cry::cry:

i think they look quite ace on humans :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not a fan of collars on rabbits. :oops:

I don't really see the need as, if free ranging, they should be in a secure garden with somebody watching - it sounds like this is what you're already doing, so her chances of escaping with you watching are minimal.

If you really want to use a collar though, do they do the quick release cat collars over there? They're the safest, imo, as the collar will snap open if it gets caught. :) Just to show you the kind I mean: http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/personalised-cat-collars.htm

Ooh, that company's on the Isle of Wight. :D

Anyway, getting distracted...

I wouldn't put a collar on any of my rabbits. I'd just be too worried they'd get their feet caught in it. I remember watching animal hospital when i was little and a stray cat was bought in with it's front leg stuck through a collar - it had pretty much amputated her leg for her, it was down to the bone. I seem to remember there being maggots too... :shock: The cat had it's leg taken off.

I've tried harnesses on rabbits in the past but always found that they really didn't like it so haven't ever tried those again either.

I wouldn't recommend a collar for your bun. Unlike a dog, which can pull very hard on a leash, a rabbit could break its more fragile neck if it tried to run and got pulled up by the leash.

A very good point.

I was assuming the OP was asking about just a collar, not one attached to a lead (hence why I advised the quick release collars if the OP was absolutely determined that she wanted to use a collar).

If the collar is intended to be used with a lead then I wouldn't recommend that at all and it could be very dangerous if the rabbit suddenly got spooked and bolted. I don't approve of harnesses either, mind you, for the same reason. :oops:

I hate collars, i dont put them on my cats either unless i take my bengal in the garden so i know where she is (they're housecats), definetely would never put one on a rabbit!!!

Dom isnt phased by it at all, shes pretty accepting of new things on her (I dress her up sometimes :p ) The yard is as secure as I can get it (I've blocked off all the exits I could find). I have considered microchipping, with my new boy, when he goes under to get neutered, I will get him microchipped at the same time, do they need to be under anesthetic to get microchipped? I've seen the size of the needle :shock: Can rabbits tolerate that kind of pain?

And no I wasnt going to consider putting her on the lead with the collar on :shock: I have a special harness for when I want to have her out on lead :)

Back