• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

might be going on another rescue mission this weekend...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Stockton... a friend of a friend I was at university with has a 10 year old rabbit who they don't want anymore who is apparently very ill and with long teeth. I can't resist going up to get it this weekend. They don't even know if it's a boy or girl and it has been down the bottom of the garden with no contact since 6 months old. :( i can't stand it, I have such an obsessive desire to help it. I already have accomodation issues because Buzz, Ralph and Ruby are now bonded into a 3. I have a double 6ft-er (which Ralph and Ruby used to live in) a single 6ft-er which Buzz used to live in (they're all indoor bunnies in their dog crate at the moment, but it won't be long before they're back outside because of my OH.)

Could I put Ralph, Ruby and Buzz in the double 6ft-er for now, and this old bun in the single 6ft-er until I can sort out bigger accomodation? Is that okay do you think?

I think I would be tempted to help. This sounds harsh but the reality is that you probably wont have it for more than a few years, but they will be special and cared for years. Would they give you any money towards vet bills?

no chance of money. Luckily the money isn't the problem, it's just my OH who sees rising numbers of bunnies and feels like they're taking over the place!

These people said they've been waiting for it to die for 5 years and it's still not dead.

:cry:

I think I will probably have to resist slapping someone.

I think if you have a bonded trio you would want them living as a group, so not seperating them at night. If you can save this bunny and are planning to get bigger accomadation for the trio- go for it. Poor old thing must be stir crazy after being left on his own for so long.

Please do be aware he may have various health problems, some may not be treatable and he may be too far gone to save. This happened to us with Kizzy, she was 9 when we got her- similar circumstances. A couple of months later she developed a uterine problem, was speyed, seemed to recoved and then went downhill quickly. It was very hard but I would do it again because she got a few months of attention, care and space to move about, more than she had ever had before.

Thanks Halfpenny. I'll deffo keep the trio together, it's just that their accommodation might now be a little smaller than I had planned. I was hoping to add an extra story to their double 6ft hutch from my other single 6ft hutch but if I do go and get this bun this weekend I'll have the bonded trio in the double 6ft hutch and the single bun in the single 6ft hutch.

Do you think these 3 buns would be okay in a double 6ft hutch with no permanent access to a run but in the run all day and only the hutch at night?

ralphrubybuzzlelying.jpg

Personally, if a 6 ft hutch is suitable for 2, i don't see why a double wouldn't do for 3 just now.
If they always lie so closely together you only need a 4 X 4 hutch anyway.:lol:

Rather than enlarge the hutch, I would go for a shed anyway for a trio.:)

Yes thats fine because you need to increase the space gradually anyway when first bonded. Good luck 10 years old wow.

no chance of money. Luckily the money isn't the problem, it's just my OH who sees rising numbers of bunnies and feels like they're taking over the place!

These people said they've been waiting for it to die for 5 years and it's still not dead.

:cry:

I think I will probably have to resist slapping someone.

That just made me feel sick! How can people be so uncaring. :cry: What a poor little thing! Thank you for rescuing him/her and giving them a chance.

Poor mite. Please be prepared for it to be in a terrible state.
Fingers crossed everything will go ok for you picking it up.
I'm sure your 3 will be fine for a little while in the double 6ft. Good luck.

Hi Theo.. no it's the one up north. I went to Durham University and it's the Stockton near there.

If they don't know the sex, then they can't have noticed much about it at all so maybe it does have quite a few health problems.

I'm prepared for it to be bad, I just don't know much about it at the moment. And they're not even calling me back, so...UGH.

Why do people care this little about their animals? :cry:

Wow thats a huge journey. Its great that there are people like you out there willing to help there poor little mites. Good luck and keep us updated.

Hi Theo.. no it's the one up north. I went to Durham University and it's the Stockton near there.

If they don't know the sex, then they can't have noticed much about it at all so maybe it does have quite a few health problems.

I'm prepared for it to be bad, I just don't know much about it at the moment. And they're not even calling me back, so...UGH.

Why do people care this little about their animals? :cry:

Oh right, thought it might be the Stockton near me and I could have gone for you, if you need any help then just give me a shout

Hi, I'm looking for an elderly female rabbit for my old boy Winston :wave:

Can you let me know if the rabbit is a girl because I'd be very interested...you could even drop her off here rather than driving all the way back to Oxford ;)

Aw, lucky bunny.

Remember to put it into full quarantine measures because you have no idea about if its carrying anything or anything.

Good luck.

Hi, I'm looking for an elderly female rabbit for my old boy Winston :wave:

Can you let me know if the rabbit is a girl because I'd be very interested...you could even drop her off here rather than driving all the way back to Oxford ;)

ooo! How old's winston? Hope it is a girl! But by that age wouldn't she have a really, really high chance of having cancer?

:shock: Poor ol girl.....:cry:

Goodluck & keep us updated......:)

she may even have anew home already with Winston!:love:

Back