• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two rabbits now down to one

Fat Zen

New Kit
Hi all,

Today, sadly, Idris; one of my two rabbits passed away. He became ill on Monday and died half an hour he was due to go to the vets. Both rabbits were raised together and have lived together since born. Now I'm down to one and I'm worried that the remaining one, Trebor, will pine and become lonely.

Unfortunately Trebor & Idris were never ones to be fussed over. Trebor doesn't like to be picked up and stroked, so I really don't know what to do with him.

Any help or comments regarding what to do with my remaining rabbit would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Matthew

I'm sorry you lost your bunny.

Do you know what s/he died from?

Is Trebor neutered/spayed?

How about getting another bunny friend and bonding them together?

I'm sorry you lost your bunny.

Do you know what s/he died from?

Is Trebor neutered/spayed?

How about getting another bunny friend and bonding them together?

I don't know what he died from, no, but it was over soon. He just spasmed, coughed and then was still. Trebor is neutered and I have thought about getting another pal, but wasn't sure whether the new comer would be accepted.

How do you introduce a new rabbit to a current pet?

Hi all,

Today, sadly, Idris; one of my two rabbits passed away. He became ill on Monday and died half an hour he was due to go to the vets. Both rabbits were raised together and have lived together since born. Now I'm down to one and I'm worried that the remaining one, Trebor, will pine and become lonely.

Unfortunately Trebor & Idris were never ones to be fussed over. Trebor doesn't like to be picked up and stroked, so I really don't know what to do with him.

Any help or comments regarding what to do with my remaining rabbit would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Matthew

Sorry to hear about your bunny :(

I am in the same situation. I had two brothers who had been together since they were babies. Bully died over a week ago and Larmee has been looking depressed ever since. He doesn't like to be stroked or picked up, he only comes to me for food and then he is off again!

I have been offered two rabbits, one from a free add and one from a dog rescue but I really don't know what to do for the best. I don't want Larmee to be sad, and I also don't want to stress him with a new bunny he might not like!

I'm in the same situation too, although Smartie does not seem to be missing Rolo & she will have cuddles. She is 5 and like you I don't want to upset her.

As your lad is neutered I would recommend you get him a lady friend. I advise you to leave him on his own for at least a week after losing his brother then introduce him to a female. This should be done on totally neutral territory and his hutch etc should be scrubbed out to get rid of his scent. He needs a companion especially as he is used to having a mate. I hope this helps

Same problem

Hi, I am new and just joined today because I am also a bit lost about what to do for the best. My female rabbit died last night very suddenly leaving her male mate. My teenage daughter is devastated and is at home today from school so she can give Alfie lots of attention and school hols almost upon us so he will have more attention than they would both usually get. However, I do not want to get another rabbit and I wonder if that is ok or a very cruel thing to do? He is only two and a half and has got a while - hopefully - to live but will he be ok on his own now or will he be dreadfully unhappy from now on as whatever attention we give him, he will still be spending the majority of time on his own? Thanks. Julia

So sorry to hear about all your rabbits :(
All of you should have a look on the rabbits in need section. The places that do the rehoming will also do the bonding for you so you don't have to worry about any of that. You pick your bun, drop yours off with the rescue they bond them (hopefuly its not 100% guaranteed but they are very good at it and its the best way) and then you take home two happy bunnys. Your existing rabbit gets a friend to love and you also give an abandoned bun a new life. Its perfect :D

Sorry for your losses, guys. :(
I agree with Mrs Ord. Rabbits are sociable creatures and all the buns mentioned have had company and they will feel lonely with no one to snuggle
up with.

Hi, I am new and just joined today because I am also a bit lost about what to do for the best. My female rabbit died last night very suddenly leaving her male mate. My teenage daughter is devastated and is at home today from school so she can give Alfie lots of attention and school hols almost upon us so he will have more attention than they would both usually get. However, I do not want to get another rabbit and I wonder if that is ok or a very cruel thing to do? He is only two and a half and has got a while - hopefully - to live but will he be ok on his own now or will he be dreadfully unhappy from now on as whatever attention we give him, he will still be spending the majority of time on his own? Thanks. Julia

At two and a half he hopeflly has a long life ahead of him. Why is it you don't want to get another rabbit?

Can you tell us more about his set up? Does he live inside or outside?

If hes outside in a hutch and has a long lonely winter ahead of him, I would think about bonding him with another rabbit. Or consider making him a house bunny.

I'm really so sorry for those who have lost bunnies.:(

I agree that rabbits are sociable animals and would be so grateful to you for having a companion of their own kind, particularly if they are going to be on their own for long periods.

If you go to rescues they can help you with bonding - it can be a bit tricky and quite stressful. Rescues can also tell you about the temperament of their buns and often how old they are, what the background is.

It feels very nice to come home with a rescue bunny, knowing that you've helped to give him or her a fresh start in a loving new home, and help free up a space in the rescue for a bunny in need. :love:

Good luck :wave:

Update: Going to see a 5yr old rabbit called George at a RSPCA foster carer's house 2moro. All going well we will be bringing him home shortly. :p

Back