• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H - 7 week old bunny up for adoption!!!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I am absolutely raging!!

Just been to P@H for some hay and had a quick look at the adoption section whilst I was there ...... there was a tiny little black 7 week old bunny called Theodore there, all on his own!!

The sign said 3 little boys, 7 weeks old from an unwanted litter - need to be rehomed together because they all love each other ......... but they'd let two go and left Theodore alone!!

I was sooo close to bringing him home but I just don't have the space.

Anyhow, I spoke to the staff asking why :

a) a 7 week old was away from its mother in the first place,

b) why they left one on its own when it clearly said they should be kept together as they're bonded and

c) did they even know that the baby had been properly weaned before being separated from his mum.

Well, the best answer they could come up with was - sometimes its better that way because when its just one bunny - you become the other bunny!

Well lets just say, I'll be surprised if I'm let back in there any time soon! What utter :censored: they were talking!

I was nearly in tears when I left!

On the one hand I'm thinking, well it could be worse ..... if they hadn't taken them to P@H .. what may have become of the whole 'unwanted' litter .... but .... I was just soo shocked and upset to see that poor little thing sat there all lonesome ..... especially being so young!

Sooo wish I had the space to bring him home with me!!

Jo x

:cry: Thats incredibly sad and I can imagine how your feeling it's sad to think that the little one is sat all alone and wondering where it's litter mates have gone, I wonder if they were separated, hopefully in time this sort of thing will really be discouraged by pet shops - try not to feel bad, he is one of millions around the country sadly:cry:

Id write to head office, each branch is run slightly differently depending on the staff it seems. Id report that branch to the head office and see what they say.

I just hope they gave the people who Adopted the other two advice on neutering..or when they reach puberty they'll be castrating each other:(
this one may be the lucky one

Id write to head office, each branch is run slightly differently depending on the staff it seems. Id report that branch to the head office and see what they say.

I do think policy seems to depend on the branch and on the staff member you speak to

:cry::cry: so sad, as Jill pointed out though they would castrate each other, so it's maybe a good thing he has been left separately.

Stop shopping in P@H is all I can advise.

I don't. I'm lucky in that I have other places I can shop, and the majority of my stuff I order online anyway.

Avoiding P@H may take a little more organisation to try to ensure you don't run out of something important, but it's better than spending your money in there and furthering their business.

xxx

I don't shop there very often tbh but I'm almost out of their 'posh' hay that they love (alfalfa king stuff .... and the hay experts are awaiting stock) - and with it literally being a 5 min walk away I thought I'd nip in!!! Big mistake!!

OH has just asked where the rest of the shopping was that I went out for...... I completely forgot to do it!! I just came straight home I was in such a state (I'm not good with confrontation)!

Looks like its 'dust' for supper then!

OH has just asked where the rest of the shopping was that I went out for...... I completely forgot to do it!! I just came straight home I was in such a state (I'm not good with confrontation)!

Looks like its 'dust' for supper then!

on the other hand you could try some of the hay you went in for!! :lol::lol:

[I get exactly the same if I go into P@H, garden centres etc]

I had the same thing today too! I went to a local garden centre to pick up a few bits and thought I would take a quick look at the bunnies. I was shocked to see they were selling 6 week old bunnies and what looked like 4/5 week old rex bunnies?!?! :shock: :shock:

The rex bunnies were literally tiny! I asked a member of staff how old they were and she pleaded ignorant, she didnt know how old they were, where they had come from, etc etc. :evil: They were clearly way too young to be away from their mother, let alone sold!

How is this allowed to happen?

I am absolutely raging!!

Just been to P@H for some hay and had a quick look at the adoption section whilst I was there ...... there was a tiny little black 7 week old bunny called Theodore there, all on his own!!

The sign said 3 little boys, 7 weeks old from an unwanted litter - need to be rehomed together because they all love each other ......... but they'd let two go and left Theodore alone!!

I was sooo close to bringing him home but I just don't have the space.

Anyhow, I spoke to the staff asking why :

a) a 7 week old was away from its mother in the first place,

b) why they left one on its own when it clearly said they should be kept together as they're bonded and

c) did they even know that the baby had been properly weaned before being separated from his mum.

Well, the best answer they could come up with was - sometimes its better that way because when its just one bunny - you become the other bunny!

Well lets just say, I'll be surprised if I'm let back in there any time soon! What utter :censored: they were talking!

I was nearly in tears when I left!

On the one hand I'm thinking, well it could be worse ..... if they hadn't taken them to P@H .. what may have become of the whole 'unwanted' litter .... but .... I was just soo shocked and upset to see that poor little thing sat there all lonesome ..... especially being so young!

Sooo wish I had the space to bring him home with me!!

Jo x

I was in Seapets once and watched this couple buy 1 out 2 rabbits who were together and I said to them surely you are not going to leave this rabbit on its own esecially as rabbits are best with another rabbit and she looked at me and said I dont have room for another one, my husband dragged me away before I could get another word in, I think I will be banned from there soon cos every time I go in there I complain about somthing! :oops:

I must confess after the Easter thing I don't go in PAH the last time I did they had a beautiful black giant baby in a glass tank on woodshavings and a handful of hay which did look rubbish, not even good enough for litter tray hay and on the notice giving details it said he had respiratory problems:roll: Really fab idea to put him on woodshavings in glass tank then eh - obviously I queried it and the size of his enclosure, I said surely PAH can afford to line that little area with hay - they said they would - I haven't been able to go in since and buy all my supplies online now from hayexperts - I either get upset or will end up arrested - there is a garden centre down here called Garsons and they sell rabbits - I daren't go in there I just know from looking at the other animals they have what it will be like, the law needs to be written for rabbits it is legislation that is seriously over-due it beggars belief.:(

I must confess after the Easter thing I don't go in PAH the last time I did they had a beautiful black giant baby in a glass tank on woodshavings and a handful of hay which did look rubbish, not even good enough for litter tray hay and on the notice giving details it said he had respiratory problems:roll: Really fab idea to put him on woodshavings in glass tank then eh - obviously I queried it and the size of his enclosure, I said surely PAH can afford to line that little area with hay - they said they would - I haven't been able to go in since and buy all my supplies online now from hayexperts - I either get upset or will end up arrested - there is a garden centre down here called Garsons and they sell rabbits - I daren't go in there I just know from looking at the other animals they have what it will be like, the law needs to be written for rabbits it is legislation that is seriously over-due it beggars belief.:(

I've been to Garsons, it's near my sisters house. I've always thought they were alright as far as the pet shop area goes. I think the pet shop bit is actually called Copnor Tropicals isn't it?! Anyway, it always pleases me to see the birds have aviaries rather than cages and the small animal cages are always clean and they're a lot bigger than most pet shop cages. They've also always had hay and decent pelleted food when I've been in too.

I still don't like to see them selling animals, but I think there are much worse places out there. :)

My local P@H has a big giant bun that looks like Thistle in at the moment. Both of his ears are on one side of his head - I couldn't make up my mind over the problem. It may just have been because his ears were so huge or he might of had a bigger problem. I so wanted to take him home but I can't justify spending £130 on a P@H rabbit just because I felt sorry for it's ears. :oops::(

I've been to Garsons, it's near my sisters house. I've always thought they were alright as far as the pet shop area goes. I think the pet shop bit is actually called Copnor Tropicals isn't it?! Anyway, it always pleases me to see the birds have aviaries rather than cages and the small animal cages are always clean and they're a lot bigger than most pet shop cages. They've also always had hay and decent pelleted food when I've been in too.

I still don't like to see them selling animals, but I think there are much worse places out there. :)

My local P@H has a big giant bun that looks like Thistle in at the moment. Both of his ears are on one side of his head - I couldn't make up my mind over the problem. It may just have been because his ears were so huge or he might of had a bigger problem. I so wanted to take him home but I can't justify spending £130 on a P@H rabbit just because I felt sorry for it's ears. :oops::(

:wave: I haven't been in the animal shed area - I didn't like the birds in the cages in the shop there were loads of small birds possibly canaries in one tiny cage and a parrot sat in the middle of the shop in a tiny cage :( Typically kids surrounding it - i didn't like it so didn't even go outside into the pet shed - I just knew if it was bad I would have ended up kicking off as I already felt a bit agitated seeing the birds and they had plastic boxes of crickets stacked up - me and my OH were like what how can they feed them if you have to take each individual box off to open another one it would take ages, I can't understand why they weren't in one big glass tank and the taken out and put into boxes when they were sold - convenience for the staff I suppose, there was about 40 little plastic boxes stacked up with live crickets in, on top of the 'exotics' like lizards, ghekko's etc horrible they were quite loud aswell :(- yes it's Copnor Tropicals I believe, extortionate prices aswell on supplies! Not for me - no way.

I've just been to Pets at Home... Unfortunately my vets are there and they are really good!! I had a quick look at the adoption while I was waiting and the had the same hamsters and rats that were there when I was there 2 weeks ago, still with only a plastic house in the cage with them. Problem is the manager of that particulaer store doesn't even like animals.

I've been to Copnor Tropicas.... as I like the posh garden centre and used to live about 5 minutes away from it, they are mega expensive, the hutches are too small and they are way way way over priced!! But I think they animals are ok, better than PAH, but could still be improved.

Ooooh VickiP... I have crickets and locust in plastic boxes stacked up in my shop..... and yes they do take forever to feed and clean!! Not alot of shops bother to feed them tho.... a very large well known chain for example..... I am literally petrified of the bugs... but still make the effort to feed and clean them.

:wave: I haven't been in the animal shed area - I didn't like the birds in the cages in the shop there were loads of small birds possibly canaries in one tiny cage and a parrot sat in the middle of the shop in a tiny cage :( Typically kids surrounding it - i didn't like it so didn't even go outside into the pet shed - I just knew if it was bad I would have ended up kicking off as I already felt a bit agitated seeing the birds and they had plastic boxes of crickets stacked up - me and my OH were like what how can they feed them if you have to take each individual box off to open another one it would take ages, I can't understand why they weren't in one big glass tank and the taken out and put into boxes when they were sold - convenience for the staff I suppose, there was about 40 little plastic boxes stacked up with live crickets in, on top of the 'exotics' like lizards, ghekko's etc horrible they were quite loud aswell :(- yes it's Copnor Tropicals I believe, extortionate prices aswell on supplies! Not for me - no way.

It's not so bad, honest! (It's actually the kind of place that I kind of enjoy looking around :oops:) They have buns and pigs (seperately!) down one side and at the end and gerbils and hammies down the other side. I haven't been there for a while but I think the bun hutches are about four foot (I know not huge but still good for a pet shop) and the buns and pigs are normally kept in pairs or small groups. The rodent cages are the big glass ones with the multi-levels. :) There are much bigger bird aviaries outside too but I agree they have too many birds in the cages in the shop.

I can't say I'd noticed the prices - I've never bought anything in there as I'd only have to cart it back home on the ferry! :lol:

I'd report the shop to headoffice & ask for reasons as to why their staff arent trained properly in care etc.

That response - even if they are ignorant- is not suitable to say to a customer......if they dont know - they shoukld call a manager to answer properly.:evil:

Local P@H I go to sometimes has onle lady who lied to me when i almost adopted a bunny - other staff told me she was lying! Very bizarre.....:shock::evil:

I have no calms about talking to a manager in front of customers about the state of care ofr the animals - if they dont have the right amount of food - water or bedding I will ask why and wait till they sort it out. I really dont care....only later I feel embarrassed...but its for the animals sake - not for my pride....

Id def. contact headoffice - ....Hopefully "Dreamers" new Care leaphlets for P@H will stop this happening and also educate some of their staff.

Back