• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I despair :(

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
So I realised that they were weeing in the two far corners of the pen, as well as the litter tray in the cage. I think Sergeant is going in the litter tray actually and it was just Pepper weeing on the floor of the pen. Great, I thought, I just need to put litter trays in those corners! Which is what I did this evening. First of all they both thought they were new dining tables, due to the hay on top (they barely ever even touch meadow hay normally either!). Then, they decided one was a dig box and a load of the litter ended up on the floor beside it. They then lost interest for a while, or rather, got distracted by the newly restocked timothy hay rack back in the cage. And then Pepper went and sat right in front of the new trays and had a wee. ARGH!

i found getting rid of litter and just using hay worked well with my digger bunny :lol::lol::lol:

youll get used to it...one day :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The first one I got was a hi-bac oblong one. The new ones are corner ones, since they (she?) were going in two specific corners. I thought they seemed a bit small but they have each sat in them now. I did buy another couple of the oblong ones and another of the corner ones, but these were meant to be for use in the living room once they were trained enough to be let out!

I wold suggest trying something like an underbed storage box. I've found my bunnies are far tidier with them.

They did it again, so I've put one of the bigger trays there. The setup now is a bit silly! At least they got straight in it, though it remains to be seen if they'll wee in it:

35113_452349270350_750930350_6508605_7020376_n.jpg

Oh *now* you get in a corner one!

35113_452349275350_750930350_6508606_1518287_n.jpg

And just for the hell of it, being cute at dinnertime earlier, before Sergeant went to nick some of Pepper's dinner as usual, before going back to finish his own off!

35113_452349265350_750930350_6508604_4398809_n.jpg

:wave: Oh dear, I think you might have made a bit of a game for them and they are having a bit of a laugh, try to stay patient and they will get used to it, at the moment they are just working out what is going on, try rewarding with a small piece of herb when you see them in the tray and lots of praise when they go in there. I did used to say 'no' firmly but, not loudly or aggressively when litter training, mop up the wee wee and show them let them smell it and see you putting it in the tray, it just clicks - they will get there with time and patience I'm sure.

Thanks, I've been doing all that except for the rewarding when they've been in the tray. I don't think they've 'been' in any of the new trays at all yet though.

Good luck!!

We were pretty lucky with Lucky - he is quite tidy but in the early days, we were using cat litter in a cat litter tray and he wouldnt use the trays but he'd go on newspaper. As he's a house bunny, i wanted him to have a contant supply of hay when he was in the living room with us so i filled the bottom of an old hamster tray with hay for him but he went in there to pee and poop instead of his litter tray. Now i line it with newpaper, fill it with hay and thats what he's chosen as his litter tray.

He hamster cage was a large one and is much bigger than the shop bought litter trays - i think he prefers the big size as he can lay in it comfy too. (Not that he does that often - he prefers to sit in it tho).

...and now they're weeing in places they've never been before :(

It's completely normal. It's just a bit of territorial behavior.
Also, I've used corner toilets but they're not the best option for adult-sized rabbits. They're too small and difficult to place a bunny's bum in, so many times the rabbit wants to go in the toilet tray, but will end up with just his bum sticking outside and wee. So far my best option has been a small cat's tray with a raised removable border, so the rabbit can go in it easily but won't make too much of a mess if he digs.

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to abandon the corner ones. Which is frustrating after spending a load of money on them! At least one is unopened and I could probably stick it back on ebay.

Back